1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

BYU investigation of BYU clears BYU.

Mngwa likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The thing is, as much as they certainly wanted no there to be there, if there was any evidence of there there, they would have had to acknowledge it.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m not super trustful of BYU (or any D-I school come to think of it) but in many ways it would be easier for them to pin this on a single bad actor and declare the problem handled than to have to walk this back and take the heat they know is coming.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

In a contrite statement, they apologized to the bakery owners and expressed regret for the bullying actions of their former vice president and dean of students.

Not.

Gibson’s Bakery Judgment Appeal - Oberlin College and Conservatory

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is my shocked face.

8. The Big Ragu

That's exactly it. They don't do an announcement of "no evidence of," unless they really looked into it and there really was no evidence of it.

Because if there is evidence of it, and it comes out, they get hit 1000 times harder than they already are.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In a era when being accused of racism is akin to being accused a witch, you’ve lost when accused. When the legend became libel, print the libel. Oberlin went with the libel rather have the students feel bad. Similar to what Duke did some years ago.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

See NASCAR, noose and Bubba Wallace.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Question is, why would anyone believe pronouncements from Duke? It’s not like they don’t have a history of lies, cover ups, athletic inappropriateness with the occasional blind political correctness?

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I don't feel bad for Oberlin -- their handling of this from start to finish was appalling. But 36M is kind of ridiculous. The jury determined the family that owns the store suffered $5M in compensatory damages (loss of goodwill, emotional distress, loss of revenue, reputational harm, etc.). That plus pre and postjudgment interest would give them a nice chunk of change to make up for their harm. I also agree with the assessment of punitive damages in this case -- Oberlin and other colleges need to be sent a strong message to deter such conduct in the future. But 20M in punitives is ridiculous. Especially when people who have been maimed and killed by corporate malfeasance are begrudged a couple million in punitives by the same screech machine nodding its head over this award. I mean, the 79-year-old woman in the McDonald's case -- who was NOT driving and was in a car that was parked -- suffered third degree burns over a good portion of her body, and her genitals and inner thighs were charred black from the coffee, requiring skin grafts, debridement treatments and a lengthy hospital stay. And McDonald's despite having similar claims in the past still required franchises to keep the coffee at that holding temperature, knowing the burn hazard it created. All she asked for was reimbursement for medical expenses and was told to fuck off. So the $1.9M punitive award she received (one day of McDonald's worldwide coffees sales as a way of sending a message to one of the biggest corporations in the world) turned this elderly, seriously injured woman, who was never the same again, into a national punchline (partially because of a lazy media that didn't report what actually happened). Same holds true in other cases with grievous injuries. But again, the same people screeching about "jackpot justice" and stupid incompetent "victims" are all like "You go!" just because they don't like the "woke mob." I don't either, but I don't like hypocrisy. And 2-3M in punitives above and beyond the compensatory damages and interest would certainly be enough to send a message and leave the family in a better place than they were before, given that 5M was what it took to make them whole.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted