1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I go back to one of the better lines I've heard (which works for writing or editing or any task): "You can't take a picture of it, you have to throw it."
    Something Bruce Arians told Peyton Manning during his 28-interception rookie season about going through his progressions.
    It seems like Jones is always looking for the perfect read, maybe to compensate for weak arm strength.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

But Belichick chose those players. Some of the luster is wearing off since Brady left.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

When was the last time Belichick drafted a receiver who can play at a high level in the NFL?

4. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

2009. Unless Julian Edelman doesn’t count, since he was a college qb. In which case it was Deion Branch in 2002.

Octave likes this.
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Branch was a Super Bowl MVP if I am not mistaken. Thank you. (I honestly didn't know.)

It seems like if Belichick had to fill a roster hole he'd go with a grizzled defensive tackle with a gnarled hand over any backup receiver.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Simms had t done much yet and was a little injury prone for Parcels. Parcels thinks or thought that injuries reflected something in your character. If you were too injured to play you were a pussy. Not exactly but close. I think Brunner actually came off of a playoff win or got the Giants to a playoff game. It was Delaware v Moorhead State.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not that it matters, but I agreed with the Brunner move for those reasons, and he had a good completion %.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Brunner did. They won the 1981 finale over Dallas in one of those old Saturday games to go to the playoffs under the late Ray Perkins.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Me too. Not that I thought Brunner was very good but Simms hadn’t shown much to date. It may have been an act at the end, but I don’t think they liked each other.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I hated that Brunner wore a plastic windbreaker when he played. Looked dumb to young me.

Octave likes this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I'd like to see that gooftastic look return. Steve Grogan used to do it also.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

His record with corners is nearly as bad, isn’t that right, Ras I Dowling

Octave likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted