1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That’s why our pronoun is they/them. They suck.

2. heyabbott

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Representation = good
    Using POC actors to play non-racial specific characters = good
    Using Mickey Rooney to play a Japanese guy = bad
    Using Emma Stone to play a Chinese woman = bad
    Getting upset because the Little fucking Mermaid is Black = U R a racist douche.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Which might be bad business ethics, but it's a hell of a leap to brand them racists for it. If a Mexican chef visits Germany, comes back with a great Bratwurst recipe, and opens a food truck selling it, is he also guilty of cultural appropriation? Or should he only be allowed to sell tacos and burritos?

Thanks. I try. But in all seriousness, how is it not totally racist to run this man off the job because he's "not Indian enough?"
    It sounds like the guy's only crime here is that his mother married a Dakota man. Since he was a child he's lived in that culture, immersed himself in it, and seems to want to honor it. But because he wasn't born into it, he's not allowed to celebrate it?
    Are some of these Native Americans opposed to interracial marriages because they're afraid of diluting their culture? And isn't that the kind of idea that, if you heard it from a Klan member, you'd be justifiably outraged?

By "bitter old dipshits" I mean the 70- and 80-year-olds who explicitly say they would rather see this man's name and memory fade into the ether than let it go on another building where it can do some good and a new generation can learn about his contributions to the city.
    A shitty thing that happened to them 40+ years ago. Their anger over that is understandable. Throwing eggs at what is at worst a goodwill gesture is not.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nowhere in the article are they branded as racists. They're branded as recipe thieves.

Would I run him off? No. But the Native people feel differently, and it's not my place to tell them how they should feel about whether this guy should count as Dakota.

I don't think they view it as a goodwill gesture.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

If the person who came up with the recipe says, "Sure, I'll share it with you -- feel free to use it in Mexico -- I hope you get rich," then I don't see the problem. Or if the person says, "I'll share my recipe -- you share your profits," and you both follow through, I don't see the problem with that either. But that's not what happened here. The rich white ladies came down from Portland and STOLE their tortilla recipe, which the owners had made efforts to hide. I don't know if it's "cultural appropriation," per se, but it's pretty gross. That and the whole kind of colonialist dynamic emanating from it at least makes it cultural appropriation adjacent, if that's a thing. I bet they even took selfies with cute little Mexican street urchins to post on Instagram. Not very Portland. Or at least not very Portland as it likes to think of itself...

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You got right to heart of their crime, in your eyes. "The rich, white ladies" (with a burrito cart that went out of business).

You can't copyright a tortilla recipe. The absurdity of this conversation is, it's not like these women moved in next door and stole the business from the women in Mexico they watched making tortillas. And we can be absolutely certain those tortilla makers in Mexico didn't have plans to expand their businesses into Portland.

Those women harmed absolutely no one.

As for "cultural appropriation" . ... nobody owns a culture.

But as the links to those stories demonstrate, it isn't even about that. @PCLoadLetter quickly shifted to, "Those stories aren't about cultural appropriation," even though that was the term the people complaining about various things were using. It was in all of the headlines. What the stories all had in common were that they were examples of divisive identity politics, which is what happens when people (rightfully AND wrongly) feel aggrieved or disrespected. What is whacked about where people have gone with this nonsense is that the dream about how to counter hatred and racism used to be to work toward an inclusive society, where everyone is treated equally. This nonsense not only rejects that, it has replaced it with an exclutionary objective.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
  9. heyabbott

Fuck Karen Johnson and her antisemitic attitudes in stealing Whoopi Goldberg as a stage name. Designed to insult an entire religion and culture. Imagine if Jerry Seinfeld changed his name to Javaris Jamar Javarison-Lamar

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Was about to "well actually you" but thought I should look it up first. And what do you know, the US copyright office says you can't copyright recipes except in very specific circumstances. Learn something new everyday.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Even if you could copyright a recipe, you'd literally just be copyrighting a written list of ingredients and some instructions. It wouldn't apply to someone selling a meal made from those ingredients and instructions. That was really what I had in mind when I typed it.

12. heyabbott

Yul Brenner as the African Pharaoh of Egypt?

Draft saved Draft deleted