1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Not sure how that absolves you of the fifth line of my list ...

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Christina Fallin made a pretty impressive running start at cultural appropriation and additionally gave the appearance of being dumber than a box of hair.

Not my favorite Disney film. She really wants to give up that beautiful kingdom and culture for some whey-faced dud who wants a puppy more than he wants a partner? blerg. Still, Chloe is beautiful and she does not do that breathy Disney Princess singing that makes me want to call the medics and tell them to bring oxygen. There are no pronouns. Nobody is saying "How are you fellow kids?" Anyway, mermaids are green and pink and purple. Lisa Frank says it so it must be true. Bigoted dumbasses.

This is the part of the story that always seems to get lost.

Spartan Squad and sgreenwell like this.
  3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I think it became cultural appropriation when society in general started picking and choosing aspects of other cultures to adopt, but never allowed the people to melt into our society. You know when the Italians came over, they brought pasta. So now everyone cooks past in their kitchen, and for a while the Italians were essentially considered. Not white, but then became part of the melting pot of America. Well, America quit letting people melt into the pot, most especially if they didn't have white skin. So why wouldn't they get pissed if you're using aspects of their culture that has meaning and yet you force them to remain on the outside?

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Little mermaid is a cultural touchstone of the Danish people since before Hans Christian Andersen wrote about it in the early 19th century. Based on oral Danish traditional stories. Ariel actually represents a culture and heritage of a people even if fictional. But let’s be clear, they hired an actress of color to generate publicity. They are goi g to do the Paul Bunyan story with Jet Li as Paul Bunyan and Scoobie Doo and Babe the Blue Ox.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is such an ahistorical understanding of how things have been in this country.

The racism and discrimination that minority groups faced in the 1800s and early 1900s was brutal compared to how anyone is treated in America today.

In regard to Italians?

Opinion | How Italians Became ‘White’ (Published 2019)

America didn't "let" people melt into the pot. It happened (and still happens) organically, because those shit-on immigrant groups nonetheless came here for a reason -- where they left sucked even worse -- and they ain't going anywhere once they get here. They then have kids who don't have a thick accent, go to an American school and see America as their home, and often have parents who push them to achieve more than they had. A generation or two out and people forget how shitty they had been treated.

It's the story of virtually every immigrant group that has come here, right through the Puerto Ricans who came here in the 1950s and 1960s and the Southeast Asians who came in the 1970s and 1980s.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. heyabbott

In the movie Its A Wonderful Life, Mr Potter calls Mr Martini and his ilk, garlic mouths. Anti Italianisn was so ingrained in America until after WWII, that they could be degraded and insulted in films without remark. America was a melting pot, because the different nationalities that came to America wanted to be unhyphenated. Parents discouraged their children from Speaking a language other than English. People kept their cultural traditions, especially as it was tied to their religious practices, but being an American was the priority. Excelling at school so they couldn’t shut you out. Starting your businesses so they couldn’t close the door on you, but then they join the chamber of commerce, the lodges. This doesn’t apply to African Americans until recently and even then. Blacks never got a chance to melt in.

X-Hack likes this.
  7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Lol. Ok. You think brown people have been let in?

You're such a pill. Truly. You don't know everything (hard to discern that from your posts) and I don't, but I'm willing to try and think outside the box. Something has made these people who talk about CA, who have grievances with their cultural touchstones being used, feel left out. Is my theory right, I don't know. But it could be. Just trying to have a discussion. As usual, you piss on it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    dixiehack likes this.
  8. heyabbott

Define brown people? Indians and Pakistanis? Cubans? Lebanese, Syrians, Persians? Kenyans, Ethiopians, Nigerians? Koreans, Japanese, Chinese since WWII? Cambodians, Thai, Philipinos? Are they consider brown people by those making color distinctions?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You posted something suggesting that America used to let people melt into the pot but now it doesn't. ... and that explains"cultural appropriation."

If you took my response as pissing on the discussion you were having, my sincerest apologies for talking into your echo chamber.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Unless I missed it, no mention here of Bubba Wallace winning Sunday's NASCAR race. First Black driver to win more than one.

Of course the trolls are still saying he pulled a Jussie Smollett, except for the minor detail that Smollett filed a false police report and Wallace didn't even report the "noose incident."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Man cosplaying as black infant in avatar has opinions on cultural appropriation.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Hesitant to respond because I don't want to walk into a pissing match. But I'm not so sure you're in a position to say they didn't hurt anyone when -- after the tortilla-makers refused to share their techniques -- these woman spied on them through their kitchen windows. Maybe they did hurt them somehow. Who knows. Clearly the tortilla-makers thought it would hurt them in some way that mattered or else they would have shared. Either way, it' s a crappy thing not to respect someone's desire to keep their techniques private.

As for whether you can protect a recipe as IP, you absolutely can. Though it's hard to think of the Mexican women's techniques as trade secrets in the same vein as the proprietary processes you might see in a tech or biopharma company, a recipe can be a trade secret if you can show that it constitutes insider knowledge that gives your company an advantage.

Also, you CAN copyright a tortilla recipe, as long as it's accompanied by "substantial literary expression" (ie. in a cookbook or with those lengthy, annoying introductions you scroll through when you see recipes on the Internet).

None of this is really relevant to that scenario, because they were in Mexico where American IP laws are irrelevant. Additionally, the tortilla makers in Mexico presumably are not publishing their recipes. And while the idea that making a tortilla is "cultural appropriation" is actually kind of stupid, I'm glad karma bit them in the ass. Because a decent person would have offered them something of value in return and -- if rebuffed -- would have respected that.

Finally, I respectfully disagree that it's "exclusionary" to object to others (particularly those from the more powerful, dominant culture) trivially playing around with or monetizing important aspects of your culture in a disrespectful, ham-handed or ignorant way. My experience has always been that most people like to share their culture and actually really want people to learn about it, experience it and appreciate it in an appropriate, authentic, non-demeaning and non-exploitative way. That's what inclusion actually is.

Draft saved Draft deleted