1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Meh

Slacker likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Can someone who knows the law better explain this to me?

So a grand jury subpoena's Mike Lindell's phone. ... The FBI shows up and serves the subpoena. Can the FBI legally seize the phone at that point the way they did (if you believe Lindell, a big if, I know)?

Doesn't there have to be room in there for the person who was served the subpoena to challenge it --either claim that it is unreasonable or that the scope of it should be narrowed -- before they comply?

Otherwise if it went down the way Lindell is saying, how isn't this a fourth amendment violation? The government basically came and grabbed his phone without a warrant / judge / any due process being involved?

Something about the way he is saying it happened doesn't seem right to me.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

How long has this been going on?

Well, your friends with their criminal persuasion
    Won't admit that it's part of a scheme
    But I can't help but have my suspicions
    'Cause their dumber than they seem
    And you said you was never intending
    To break up our country this way
    But there ain't any use in pretending
    You could be indicted any day

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Maggie Hassan approves this message.

garrow and wicked like this.
  5. Machine Head

6. Machine Head

The Denver FBI field office told The Daily Beast that it does not comment on individual cases but, “without commenting on this specific matter, I can confirm that the FBI was at that location executing a search warrant authorized by a federal judge.”

The U.S. attorney’s office in Colorado, which issued the subpoena, declined to comment.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mypillows-mike-lindell-says-fbi-seized-his-cellphone-at-hardees

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Who knew pillow dork was Charlemagne in sweatpants?

Machine Head and OscarMadison like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

Thanks. This is still really confusing me. That story is seemlessly talking about a grand jury subpoena and a warrant authorized by a Federal judge. It doesn't add up. Is there a grand jury investigation going on at the same time that prosecutors went before a judge, and there was a subpoena that has nothing to do with the warrant? Or is it one or the other? Or is it that a subpoena duces tecum somehow got accompanied by a search warrant, and if so, why and how does that work?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’m not a criminal lawyer, but I believe that once a search warrant is signed by a judge, the recourse of the person whose property was seized is to ask for it back/that it not be used in a proceeding. For something like a cell phone, I believe that they image the device and give it back to the owner relatively quickly

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

FBI had to obtain a search warrant from a judge who agreed with agency's contention the phone contained evidence of a possible crime.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

What does that have to do with a grand jury subpoena for the phone?

12. The Big Ragu

Thx. I understand that. ... a search warrant and they can grab whatever it covers. But did the judge sign the warrant independently of a supposed grand jury subpoena, or is it related? That is what is confusing me. Because if it is related to a grand jury subpoena, don't you get a chance first to challenge the subpoena as unreasonable?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted