1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But it's written in stone somewhere that San Diego ALWAYS has to be perfect and Yakutsk ALWAYS has to be an ice box.

We must "save the planet" to keep things that way.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not written in stone that the planet has to be inhabitable. It's dumb as shit to take a"stuff happens" attitude about that fact.

[​IMG]

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It becoming too costly to perpetuate "living on the West coast" is a bit far removed from "the planet being inhabitable."

P.S. Where is/when was that?

4. The Big Ragu

The effects of carbon emissions may not be creating a binary outcome.

But the reason I went to the extreme binary outcome is that the post above mine is thrown out there with certitude that it isn't a matter of "heading to unhabitable or not."

When you see all of the extreme weather events hitting the world from fires to droughts to flooding, and for example, you see that flooding in Pakistan in which millions of people are now homeless, I don't get that kind certainty; about how much of what we are seeing is due to decades of greenhouse gas emissions and how much worse it might get quickly on our current course.

What I do know is that the way greenhouse gases are still being emitted worldwide is not being calibrated in any way to try to create a "Well, we do harm, but limit the harm" sort of world. Even if there was any effort to do that (and there isn't), our knowledge level isn't good enough to act in that precise of a way. We don't even know if we are reaching tipping points for which we won't be able to stem things; for example, what happens if the polar ice caps completely melt (and it seems to be happening way more quickly than we were anticipating even just a few years ago)?

The reason I summed up that attitude as "stuff happens," is that it amounts to sitting with a thumb up your ass. And if it is because "Well, it's probably not going to be too bad," that strikes me as ignorant. Not in the face of what we are empirically seeing right now.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Beat me to it. Pretty incredible story.

7. The Big Ragu

It is pretty cool.

Reminds me a bit of Chuck Feeney who made a fortune with Duty Free shops, and for years was secretly giving everything away -- to the tune of $8 billion. Not climate change, but a broad range of philanthropic causes. He managed to do it anonymously for the longest time, and then when it came out it blew up on him.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steven...brokeis-now-officially-broke/?sh=1b9af7693a2a

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm just gobsmacked by it. I've always enjoying reading Chouinard's opinions and life story - "Let My People Go Surfing" is a great book about people management - but walking away from a $3 BILLION company is mindblowing.

Here's his letter on the company website ...

Reimagining Capitalism — Patagonia

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I won't speak for @BTExpress, but I think his had to do with this sort of thing ... "If these things keep going the way they're going, City X as we know it is going to be no more." And that's a dumb argument, if only because the value of keeping "City X as we know it" (to the degree that can be done) has to be weighed against the value of any number of other things.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Your move, Bezos.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We're not saving the planet to keep those very specific places in a very specific state. We're saving the planet to keep ecosystems as close to status quo to allow life to continue to thrive. San Diego being in the region it is in relative to the tropics and other factors should be within a certain temperature and rain patterns. Yakutsk being in a relative location as far north as it is and other geographic factors should be within a certain icy temperature. Again not for the place but because if these places change significantly, it has negative implications for the world at large. And a huge population of the world can't afford to just move. And which countries are we going to say are allowed to continue to exist and which one must be abandoned because we should just say ah shucks to climate change?

dixiehack likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Last week it was Death Valley hot.

Today 70s.

Sunday rain.

Next Friday, hot AF.

used to be the first rain broke the heat spells in the Bay Area. This is different

FCCB8057-C832-42E4-8F89-7E2D66A1F14C.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted