1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm ... totally unique for a politician, huh?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the politician.

Here's the thing. ... take any politician you can think of that you know I will despise. Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, any of them. ... for all the immoral populist things they will propose and gladly do that ultimately steals from or harms someone (usually everyone in the final tally). ... you'd be hard pressed to find too many examples of them treating people who are poor, powerless and vulnerable with no dignity.

When you're the politician who gleefully takes a shit all over the most powerless people you can find for a cheap ploy to try to appeal to the most hateful and ignorant people among us, nope, it's not just "a politician acting like a politician." You're a terrible person.

Like I said, I don't know how anyone can cast a vote for someone like that. Shame on anyone who does.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When does the war on Christmas begin?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Tbat assumes the guy posting on Reddit is who he says he is (disabled vet). The post was all about how he wasn't "giving up" on DWAC. I'm wondering if it was a Trump crony posting and saying "I lost cash, but I still believe I'll make a ton!"

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A nondenominational, irreligious chance to put money and mouth to good use.

Charity Challenge 2022

I will be insufferable about this for several days, so you might as well donate now.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

wicked, I agree, I don't believe some of that Reddit stuff was even real.

But his operation is far different from Putin's (erstwhile) army of trolls and orcs. They had legitimate black-hat hackers who were paid to make mischief. This is Scavino, Eric and whoever else they can round up to shitpost - which isn't nearly enough.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

“This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks,
    stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God,
    have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown, or to any man or number of men —
    go freely with powerful uneducated persons, and with the young, and with the mothers of families —
    re-examine all you have been told in school or church or in any book, and dismiss whatever insults your own soul;

and your very flesh shall be a great poem, and have the richest fluency, not only in its words, but in the silent lines of its lips and face, and between the lashes of your eyes, and in every motion and joint of your body.”

— Walt Whitman, preface to Leaves of Grass

OscarMadison and CD Boogie like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

“We fight like hell.”

Magas I (6-21)

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The odd thing about the immigration relocation stuff? If they are to be held in the US while being processed or whatever, I'm perfectly fine with other states sharing the burden. I'd also find it hilarious if Biden granted all those bussed and flown elsewhere green cards.

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Diverting multi-millions from state coffers to a fewtball star whose daughter plays sports - yea, that would be a crime.
    Seeing him caught in the undertow of all this would just be too orgasmic.
    Which means nothing will happen, of course.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A lot of the migrants have family and friends in the U.S. already and are just trying to get to them for help. Most people don't want to be a burden to anyone. The rest have been through an ordeal, are disoriented and it's not like they are demanding much of anyone beyond the help that charitable organizations in New York are trying to give them, on their way to homeless shelters that they are going to want to get out of.

These are people who came here looking for opportunities they didn't have where they were coming from. If the past is prelude to the present, people like that are usually really diligent and hard workers if they can get even a small opportunity. As long as the labor market stays as tight as it has been, there are a lot of jobs that people here are holding their noses up at, which some of these migrants will gladly step into -- if we don't get in our own way the way we usually do and prevent it from happening. Far from being a burden, wouldn't it be a real kick in the ass if New York as a whole ultimately ends up benefitting from their presence?

Draft saved Draft deleted