1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Please tell us.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would be funny if SNL does a full blitz on the "new" CNN. Maybe do a take-off of this classic Cheers episode anytime an on-air person gets a little too "biased."

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This is what that story last month in The Atlantic predicted we’ll see everywhere: blatant disregard of court orders by Republican elected officials and government agencies.
    The American experiment has run its course.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

M/A/G/A

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Harvard man.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

How unDesantis of them

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I will give my take on John Malone.

1. Brilliant.
    2. Ruthless. I knew people in the cable television industry who compared him to John D. Rockefeller.
    3. He is not trustworthy. Even people who worked for him admitted his word was meaningless.
    4. Very conservative politically.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, when they are seeing their leader act with impunity toward established norms and the legal system ...

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fukcing arm yourselves.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Because Malone couldn't buy News Corp out from under Murdoch 20 years ago, he's decided to out-Fox Fox with the influence he has over CNN. He's in it for the revenge and because he's a MAGA in Libertarian clothing. He's a member of the Cato Institute, co-founded by none other than Charles Koch.

He's a manipulative SOB who doesn't give a damn about anything but himself, which is why he and toady John Maffei seem to be on the board of directors for a zillion companies (actually, nine).

His nickname, thanks to Al Gore, is "Darth Vader." He parlayed a relatively small-time cable TV monopoly in Colorado into Liberty Media (with Maffei as CEO and his own son on the board), which means he owns the Braves and F1 in addition to his varied media holdings, which include Charter Communications, SiriusXM, Live Nation and Trip Advisor, and now Warner Bros. Discovery.

He also is the largest private landowner in the country, surpassing Ted Turner. His total acreage is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

Oh, Malone and current WBD CEO David Zaslav, they go way back. Like in "Malone talks and Zaslav dances." He's pulling the strings in Atlanta, and as long as Zaslav continues to make a lot of money through his connections to Malone, he's perfectly willing to bend over.

From the Vox story: “Anybody who underestimates the amount of space that [Malone] occupies in David’s strategic mind and emotional bandwidth has just not followed the last decade,” says one of Zaslav’s friends. “He’s in awe of John,” says another Zaslav pal.

I wouldn't trust John Malone with my life, let alone my job. I'm damn glad to be retired and not wondering what the hell is happening at CNN Center every day.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes ... railroad commission oversees mineral (i.e., oil and gas) industry. Don't ask me why ...

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is circumstantial evidence enough for insider trading convictions? Thread …

Draft saved Draft deleted