1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Admittedly I wasn’t looking at the stands Sunday. NASCAR said Darlington was a “sell out,” but that means whatever you want it to mean.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

As if there wasn't enough news today...

maumann likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Kyle Busch to RCR, is what everyone on Twitter is telling me right now. Announcement scheduled at the top of this hour.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Reddick is going to run for RCR, but they don't have a charter for him. Right.

Kurt Busch retiring or running a limited schedule in an open car solves the issue. Maybe 23XI can wave enough money at a backmarker team to lease their charter for a year.

maumann likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I honestly think I've seen crowds for qualifying at Bristol bigger than tonight's race.
    NASCAR is certainly less relevant nation-wide than it was 20 years ago.
    Before I shuffle off this mortal coil, I believe it will be less relevant in the south than it was nation-wide 50 years ago.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Too soon to make a "Why don't we let Brian France tinker with this again" joke?

And, um, NASCAR ... how's that "we're going to get NFL-level ad revenue" campaign going?

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Donald Trump is Brian France.

NASCAR once claimed to have 90 million fans. And their PR people said it with a straight face, like they really believed that.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Driftwood

The racing itself tonight is pretty good.
    The product has stagnated.
    I say that as someone who for the first four decades of his life breathed and bled NASCAR both as a fan and as a professional.

FileNotFound and maumann like this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't have any regrets from my professional days around racin', but not getting to a Bristol night race at its peak nags me a bit. No chance I'd go now, even on the best freebies.

OscarMadison, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

When getting a steak at Peerless at Johnson City was more of an attraction than covering the race, that told you all you needed to know about Bristol.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  11. Driftwood

Yeah, Bristol night race has been over rated for a really long time.
    Peerless is way over priced. It's good. But it's expensive.
    Better in proximity to the track is Ridgewood BBQ.

maumann likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How many do they get to the Cup night race now? Isn’t the capacity still what it was 15 years ago? I don’t care how great the experience is, sounds like it would be underwhelming with that many empty seats.

To me having it pushed back from August made it lose its luster. It was the last Saturday before college football, it seemed. Now we have this Week 0 nonsense.

Draft saved Draft deleted