1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Hurricane Tracker App
    Just did some analysis on the 12Z GFS & 12Z EURO runs which both show a major Gulf hurricane in 7-10 days. Runs show low wind shear and that along with warm to hot water, favors what the models show. Will write a post in app soon. Could have big problems.

[​IMG]

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. Driftwood

There is some sadistic crap in Mother Nature that these things happen in the middle of the night. Disasters suck. They suck worse in the dark.

4. Driftwood

As for Fiona’s future, the system’s updated path forecasts it to travel further away from Florida, with the center moving northwest into the Atlantic and threatening Bermuda by the end of the week. Fiona is forecast to intensify into a Category 4 major hurricane with 130 mph winds and 160 mph gusts by Wednesday, the NHC said.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

This motherfucker has my undivided attention. The last one that looked this ominous so far out was (I think) Ike.

The Gulf has been virtually unstirred all season and the energy can be counted in terajoules.

6. Driftwood

I completely understand. I have my fingers crossed for everybody. I honestly believe months/climate have shifted, but I hope the peak window is rapidly closing.
    Of course, Cat 1s and 2s can do extensive damage with flooding along the Atlantic coast deep into October. I know. My dumb ass was sleeping in my truck in the middle of Matthew in 2016.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Even mere tropical storms that park somewhere can cause biblical flooding, like Allison and post-landfall Harvey did over Houston.

This time of year, though, Texas tends to get late-season heat domes (like the one it's under now) that repel tropical disturbances. The main concern will be from NOLA east.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The remnants of Gaston stalled out over Richmond in 2004 and flooded the shit out of Shockoe Bottom. A foot of rain plus poor drainage equaled total disaster.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From our local meteorologist (we are damn spoiled to have James Spann in a fringe Top 50 market):

Cooler Friday; Eyes On The Tropics

Also of note, Fiona is projected to hit the Maritimes and/or Newfoundland this weekend as an intact hurricane.

maumann likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Think how weird it must be to live in Newfoundland and get a hurricane warning.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

About every three years for a tropical system, every 15 years for a hurricane, according to this very oddly designed page:

St John's,Newfoundland Hurricanes (hurricanecity.com)

12. Driftwood

Draft saved Draft deleted