1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

#WhyMustIcyPlacesStayIcy?

dixiehack likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

New record set yesterday in my hometown. 100 degrees on Sept. 20.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Without adding to the tedious weather reports appearing daily in this thread, the surest sign of climate change is a year after Ida and while noting my domicile is NOT in a flood zone, my insurer is graciously offering optional flood insurance at a not-insubstantial extra cost. Of course, if my mountaintop village every becomes an actual flood zone, you count on the insurer to pull it's coverage, those profiteering fukcheads.

maumann likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Isn’t flood insurance run by the federal government though?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Pretty much, yes.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

When is the next flood insurance adjuster practice?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The NFIP program that was passed by Congress. ... you know, those profiteering fuckheads. ... who managed to design a program that isn't actuarilly sound (i.e. -- premiums don't even come close to reflecting the covered risk), currently owes the U.S. Treasury more $25 billion and growing, has 15 to 20 percent of its policyholders receiving a subsidy covering more than half of the cost of their already inaccurate premium, etc. The program is a complete shitshow from a fiscal standpoint, but probably the worst thing about it (and of course the thing most people don't get) is that the inaccurate pricing of risk obscures the true cost of building in flood-prone areas and encourages risky behavior that has the potential to end up costing way more down the line precisely because it has incentivized people to live in those places. And it's likely that risk has only gone up due to climate change.

10. doctorquant

Agreed, with the provision that I would amend "it's likely that ..." in your last sentence to "it's entirely possible ..."

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. doctorquant

If they don't get this global warming thing in check, next thing you know it's gonna be in the 90s outside when Christmas decorations go on sale.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted