1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Let’s hope Ian picks up speed by the time he reaches South Carolina. Anymore, Charleston and Columbia flood on the suggestion of cloud cover.

(Also, how many years until we have the first non-binary hurricane?)

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Hurricane Pat.

Spartan Squad, UPChip, garrow and 3 others like this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Here's some data I came across that is interesting if you have ties to the Old North State. (Probably not, if you don't).
    Monthly number of recorded storms affecting North Carolina:
    1950-1979 - June 7 July 5 Aug. 18 Sept. 32 Oct. 13 Nov. 0
    1980-1999 - June 5 July 9 Aug. 16 Sept. 20 Oct. 13 Nov. 5
    2000-Present - June 4 July 12 Aug. 14 Sept. 26, Oct. 7 Nov. 3

maumann likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I was sitting in the parlor of a small Charleston single house* owned by one of my wife's architect friends. We were all doing the in-your-30s-Sunday-after-a-party-brunch, and it had rained pretty heavily that morning. The discussion, with many, many participants, had to do with just how elegant Charleston really is ... as the reek of sewage (from the flooding) lay heavily over the room.

I kept my damn mouth shut.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_single_house

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The word I got sick of hearing during my 2.5 years working there was "charming."

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sanibel being cut off from the mainland seems like a plot point in a Randy Wayne White novel.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Next stop, Charleston.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 12.01.50 PM.png

And then Charlotte, two of my three previous work stops. Somehow it missed Fort Lauderdale.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

One of the interesting things about taking both California History and Florida History in college was the similarity in how the influx of people to warmer climates, cheaper land (at one time) and in Florida's case, no income tax, since World War II isn't without the inherent risk of a catastrophic natural disaster.

Just like the Bay Area and the Southland are overdue for a large seismic event, Miami and the St. Pete-Tampa area have been very lucky to have avoided a major hurricane for quite some time.

On average, a major hurricane strikes Florida every 11 years. And yet, Florida's Bay Area is pushing around 100 years since a direct hit, and it's been 1950 since Fort Lauderdale-Miami caught one in the kisser. (Hurricane Andrew caused widespread damage, but hit south of the most populated area.)

Ian pretty much decimated the same area as Charley did in 2004. But that's 18 years of more and more people moving to that area without having experienced an event like this week. With something like 1,500 people a day moving into the state, I hope Ian is a wake-up call to the people from other places who don't understand how dangerous and life-threatening these can be. The area between West Palm and Key West got hit with eight Cat 3s or larger in a 25-year span between 1925 and 1950. So it's not just a global warming event.

Hurricanes are Mother Nature's way of sorting out the true Floridians from the people who suddenly realize they can't afford to lose everything.

Just like California, Florida wasn't meant to have a population of over 20 million people, with 90 percent of those living within 10 miles of a coastline (or in Orlando's case, an amusement park).

MileHigh likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Looking at the damage to the causeway in Sanibel, I'm reminded of what the earthquake did to the Bay Bridge in 1989.

Inky_Wretch, MileHigh and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted