1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Brooklyn Bridge likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

One of a million reasons why Republicans should never be trusted with holding power in our government

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Close!

Trump: The Fall

Track record: Based on his track record, the banks opened their wallets to Trump, seemingly without undertaking the normal financial analysis. A lawyer who has worked with Trump says, "Donald Trump could have walked into any bank and said, "I want $25 million,' and nobody would ask for a financial statement. They'd say, "Donald Trump, $25 million? Done!'" James Grant, a business observer and editor, says the banks were feeding Trump's speculative purchases. "All this occurred," he says, "three, four or five years after it was clear to anyone that this same style of lending had brought ruin to the big Texas banks." Trump's major banks, Chase Manhattan, Citibank, Bankers Trust and Manufacturers Hanover, declined to comment.

Not only was it the magical Trump the banks were lending on; it was a time when market values had been rising almost non-stop since the late 1970s. If the cash flow from the various properties didn't cover the debt payments, it didn't really matter. Like a homeowner, Trump could mark up the value of a building on paper and borrow against it through second mortgages. Trump also took out personal lines of credit that were unsecured and sometimes used them to make interest payments. "The banks," says a lawyer who has known Trump since his first project, "created their own monster."

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So it's been a cult for decades.

HanSenSE and FileNotFound like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That story is about Trump in the 1980s. I thought we were having a conversation about Trump in the 2010s.

We can have an entirely different conversation about the savings and loan crisis, and the loans that were being made in the 1980s (not just to Donald Trump) and why, I suppose. But loans like those caused thousands of banks to go under (and kept the FDIC working double time) and for the rest of the industry to consolidate. FWIW, the Forbes list (did it exist then?) had nothing to do with that environment, and those kinds of loans (many of which went bad) weren't limited to Donald Trump.

Azrael likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Looks like we're having two conversations.

DQ and I were going back and forth about young Trump and the go-go 80s and the power of mythology and the Forbes 400 list.

You and I are having one about post-Atlantic City, post-Fred-Trump-bringing-Donald-suitcases-filled-with-cash, post-six-bankruptcies Trump and his Deutsche Bank loans.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

But we're all in agreement Trump's a lying lowlife, right?

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Whatever Mr. Trump's accomplishments may or may have not been in the private sector, let us not lose sight of the fact that he had zero qualifications for public office anywhere at any time, let alone the highest office in the land. This should been obvious to anyone with a functional brain."

[​IMG]

Slacker and dixiehack like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have to say, I’m enjoying the RWSM getting twisted by Lizzo playing a flute once gifted to James Madison.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know you want this to be about Donald Trump being a unique con artist, but that period in the 1980s when the Fed dropped rates in the wake of Paul Volcker created massive asset price inflation, which led to an insane lending environment. You had very high inflation, but suppressed interest rates (discouraging savings -- especially in that environment because the inflation meant you were losing a decent amount money in real terms). And that led to very speculative behavior (it's always the same story, really) and batshit loans were being extended -- to everyone not named Donald Trump. He wasn't unique.

The speculative bubble was particularly pronounced in commercial real estate. And that is what you are talking about in relation to Trump then. So of course he could get loans from those banks easily. Everyone could. Real estate values were rising in value (on paper) so quickly because of the asset price inflation the Fed stoked all over again, that it encouraged (all but forced them really) banks to lend aggressively. There were actually short-term construction loans being extended because property values were rising so quickly that the banks figured the loans could be refinanced as soon as the building was finished. And the banks were being robbed of yield, so it pushed them into risky behavior to try to earn something. They could justify it, because asset prices were rising (cause that time was different, the way it's always different). ... until the bubble started to pop and you had banks go under because they had such big non-performing loan portfolios.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

"I'd pay cash money to watch Ben Shapiro try to survive one day on Parris Island"

Draft saved Draft deleted