1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Gas prices are up a lot more than 6 cents in the midwest since the BP refinery went down.

I have no idea what you are talking about with dependence on foreign oil thing of how it relates to your conspiracy about gas prices. But oil trades in a global marketplace. The U.S. doesn't set the price unilaterally. Global demand does, and the multinational companies that drill here are in the business to sell oil for as much money as the demand will allow, not less. We don't have nationalized oil companies, and it's a good thing even though the reasons why will be lost on you. Most countries that have nationalized their oil companies are inefficient, corrupt boondoggles and the people of those countries are a hell of a lot worse off because of it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Which is what Trust me means in L.A.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Serious question, because I have no idea how this shit works.

Oil is a commodity. So is orange juice. They trade every day.

Why does the price of gasoline at the local Circle K change every other day, while the price of orange juice at Publix changes maybe once a year?

And on a related note, the Circle K fills its underground tanks full of gasoline for $X. That gasoline will last a week or so until they need to refill the tanks. So why did the price change three times in the interim?

I Should Coco and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K?

sgreenwell, Della9250 and garrow like this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because the Publix (and similar) markup on OJ is waaaaaaay larger than the Circle K markup on gasoline?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The international demand for gasoline is somewhat larger than that for orange juice, I must say. A wildly larger market is likely to have larger price swings in absolute terms. But look more closely at the OJ. Movements of a few cents are making fortunes. Didn't everyone see Trading Places?

Gutter likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Grocery store profits margins are 1-3%. OJ would seem to be a staple with price elasticity.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

In Soviet Russia, orange juice demands you!

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted