1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, I am not in favor of "jacking up" the price of anything. Just as I am not in favor of "jacking down" the price of anything.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Look: Free market companies are free to charge whatever they want. If customers feel like they're getting gouged, they should just refuse to buy. Then the price will come down.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This says otherwise.

but I personally think there is nothing immoral about producing a good or service and freely selling it to others at a price they either choose to pay or not choose to pay.

But hey, if you can't afford insulin or an epipen at the jacked-up price, just don't buy it! Problem solved!

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

This particular problem would be much easier to fix if not for politics. Just allow for widespread generic insulin. Then there would actually be a market to shop.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In the U.S., pharma pricing is mostly the Wild West.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

If I want you to buy my home, but you don't want to pay what I am asking, are you "jacking the price down" on me? Or does it only work the other way?

You are creating distortions of my posts, putting words into my mouth, and doing "good to know" posts. You've done it several times. If you want me to take you seriously, respond to me, not to your strawmen.

Let's take it out of the realm of insulin, because despite your strawman, there isn't a free market for insulin -- it has been around for more than 100 years and is relatively easy to produce if we allowed it.

Let's say some other groundbreaking and life-saving new drug gets discovered by someone tomorrow. That drug is still a commodity, not a right that everyone has a claim to.

The importance of the drug -- in your opinion, or even if it is lots of a people's opinion -- doesn't give you a claim to the time, expense and labor of someone else who made the drug a reality.

When you treat people that way, you are ensuring that you don't get those important things because nobody is going to take any risk, put up any expense, or put in any amount of work when they know the response is always that other people feel entitled to steal it, or limit the reward for their time, labor and expense.

Gasoline is a commodity, too, it's not a right. It sucks for all consumers when the price goes up, but it is magical thinking to think that you can just make things cost what everyone wants by fiat. You are talking about price controls, and price controls create shortages that hurt people worse than the high prices did. You get less of it and it allocates it really poorly because you have destroyed the price signals that guide people's behavior.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Amy Coney Barrett, Judge Cannon
    Roger Stone, Proud Boys, Steve Bannon
    Oath Keepers, Michael Flynn
    Trump opened the door and let 'em in

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

WE DIDN’T START THE FIRE!

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

One of the worst songs Paul McCartney ever wrote. And these lyrics are actually better than the insipid original.

I'll add the chorus:

The Feds have got themselves a warrant, FBI's ringing the bell
    Somebody needs to call my lawyers
    Don't let 'em in

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

but 4chan is free

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

D7FA25F3-DFA6-4CA9-832A-CA553D723199.jpeg

12. The Big Ragu

Are there going to be any actual women (as opposed to paid actresses) on the app?

And if I am wrong about what I am guessing, are there going to be any actual women with teeth?

Draft saved Draft deleted