1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Sure. But would those base models hold up to today’s racing safety standards?

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I bet the learning curve even for some of today's top drivers to handle a Gen 2 or 3 car would be pretty steep. I'm sure they'd figure it out, but there would be a whole bunch of wrecked race cars early on.

maumann likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the worst version of IROC - equally prepared enforced boredom - is what NASCAR has now. Multiplied by the number of supremely dull tri-ovals like Texas.

I am long on the record (since 2002 ((jfc I'm old))) that while cars should adhere to a standard safety design, owners be allowed to build whatever they like based on stock bodies and dimensions. Then drop whatever ridiculous 12-cylinder 20-liter triple-turbo piezo-atomic powerplant into it they like.

You could run 300-mph at Talladega if you take the crowd out of the stands.

In the meantime, Camaro IROC zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No doubt. But this is a circuit that just adjusted to fuel injection. Freaking fuel injection.

There has to be a way to get them all to adhere to rigorous safety protocols, while, mechanically, telling them to "have at it, boys." Here's one way to sell the Frances on it: Mechanical freedom would do wonders for "race on Sunday, sell on Monday." Yes, it will cost the teams more money, but IMO, if they don't do something to improve the product – by the end of the current TV deal if not sooner – what little money is now left will dry up.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nascar's working on it.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The original IROC stuff sucked. Car colors, racing, all of it. Sucked then, would suck now.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  8. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I hear Jimmie Johnson is looking for a part-time gig. Perhaps he could run the roval, Vegas, Homestead, Martinsville and Phoenix.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Somebody left a vintage Superbird in the way of Hurricane Ian? Now I'm really bummed. (Although maybe you can just pound out the dents.)

[​IMG]

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My best friend’s dad had a 1970 Corvette he lovingly kept under a tarp inside the carport until Hurricane Ivan fed it a tree.

maumann likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That's a shame. You can't replace something like that. It doesn't look like the frame is warped, but the damage would make you cry.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted