1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Abandoned since 1958, Detroit's Packard Plant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Sep 30, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Another sign of Detroit’s ineptness (ineptitude?) in that era… there was no plan for Tiger Stadium.

UPChip, Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Memorial Stadium sat around for a long time too. But, IIRC, got to host the Ravens for a bit later.

And, cough, cough: RFK. I know, soccer, etc. Not exactly abandoned. But amazing how long infrastructure sits around - sometimes useful, often not.

I once saw plans for RFK to be turned into a park. I’ll have to check and see if the wrecking ball has swung yet. I don’t think so, but I haven’t been paying attention.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

RFK is still standing and hasn’t been used in at least five years. DC United has its own new stadium down by Nats Park.

I know the RFK parking lot got used during the pandemic to make drive-throughs out of events that otherwise would’ve been held at the convention center.

I think it was supposed to be torn down in 2019-2020 timeframe — guessing it was delayed by the pandemic. Who knows when it’ll happen now. It’s supposed to be turned into a park and REC center.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

RFK has been designated for preservation as the venue of the first SJ.com Gathering!

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My uncle lived a block away. It was like watching a beautiful old church without a congregation go uncared for.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hasn't RFK been mentioned as a possible site for a new Commanders stadium? IIRC, it's one of the few available pieces of land in DC proper for such a thing which might be why they never tore it down.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I was at Tiger Stadium’s final game
    Tigers 8, Royals 2
    Grand slam by Robert Fick
    When they introduced Tigers greats before the game the guy we all thought was Gates Brown really was Ron LeFlore
    As it turned out, LeFlore was arrested after the game for being delinquent on child support

UPChip likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It’s Snyder’s preferred location, but it’s federal land that’s only leased to the District for another 10-12 years or so. Only Congress can extend the lease, which I wouldn’t expect to happen any time soon.

Batman likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’m glad we could steer the conversation away from fucking Detroit.

Doesn’t look like anyone got my Blues Brother reference.

I actually want to visit the Detroit area and see things like what’s left of Willow Run, any Ford museums (JFK limo is around there - maybe Dearborn).

I’ve been to Detroit before, but strictly on business.

Also, one of the early nuclear meltdowns occurred near there (south, in Monroe), long before Three Mile Island - check out the book “We Almost Lost Detroit”.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The architecture reminds me a bit of the century-plus-old Stutz auto plant in Indianapolis, which now hosts a number of small businesses, artists and other industries. IUPUI's engineering school has a space in there where they work on autonomous vehicles; talk about a building coming full-circle.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    maumann and garrow like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

garrow and maumann like this.
  12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted