1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

cocaine?

maumann likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I came across video of Ben Rhodes’ in-truck camera (he was right behind JA). Rhodes bump drafts Anderson, then the truck goes up in flames. Maybe that was pure coincidence. Maybe not? I’ve read that it was an engine fire. I don’t know how a bump correlates to an engine fire. Maybe he knocked out the exhaust or something? I am not a car guy, would love someone to explain it to me like a 5-year-old.

maumann likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Are they running trucks or Ford Pintos?

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Could have been worse. But hope he heals up.

Driftwood and wicked like this.
  5. maumann

Petit LeMans update from Road Atlanta.

Chip's cars were running 1-2 in the final hour when they wrecked each other.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any footage because I also wanted to know. Couldn't figure out if the fuel cell ruptured, something went wrong in the fuel line, did the firewall not do its job, did the exhaust get bent closed like you were saying?

Guess the engineers have some more work to do.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Soooooo, we've gotten to the point where some random car parks on pit road and we throw the caution to bunch the field for a 3-lap shootout. Wow.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I read online that there was a fire in the grass (off turn 4, I believe). I don’t see why they didn’t just push Hemric behind the wall, if he indeed had no engine.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, at least if there's one place where a 3-lap shootout is guaranteed to generate excitement it's a track where it takes them one lap to get up to full speed, another lap to set up and screw up a draft, and then another lap to wreck a third of the remaining field so we can do it all over again.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  10. maumann

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Drivers should pull into pit lane and get out next week in Charlotte after the first lap. If NASCAR doesn't want to acknowledge their concerns, run a lap and retire. When whatever plaid-shirted goober with hair wax and a microphone asks what's going on, the drivers can say they don't feel safe in the vehicles and NASCAR won't listen.

If the car's unsafe, don't f'king drive it.

Draft saved Draft deleted