1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Abandoned since 1958, Detroit's Packard Plant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Sep 30, 2022.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just remembered this. Not abandoned, but there's an old but nice apartment building in downtown Newark with a bowling alley in the basement. When you rent you get your key, and a pair of bowling shoes.

garrow and maumann like this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Alexandria site is definitely polluted and no one wants to pay for the remediation.

Plus, I remember reading somewhere that there’s a still-active power station right smack-dab in the middle of the site that any developer would have to build around.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Then there’s Kezar Stadium, immortalized by Harry Callahan

maumann likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When renovation of the Michigan Central station was fnally begun, people started showing up to return stuff they'd stolen through the years.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Kezar is still there. Most of the grandstands have been removed. It's used for high school football.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Michigan Central Station project amazes me — the building was in such poor shape. I’m surprised Ford is plowing so much money into it. I saw that they’re expanding the current Detroit Amtrak stop, so there goes the chance of trains stopping there again. I wish I could’ve seen it when it was in its prime.

maumann likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Buffalo has a great train station, the old NY Central Terminal. There's a caretaker group that has done some upgrading and prevented it from total decay, and the state just earmarked $61 million for remediation/renovation, but unfortunately Buffalo doesn't have the big corporate hitter like Ford (or GM) to help shoulder the load.

And the city decided to build a new Amshack Station downtown, instead of re-opening the Central Terminal. So there are still two separate terminals (downtown and Depew); the need the Depew one because westbound trains have to back up for a several miles to get back on the main line from the downtown station so they can head west.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I've heard the seagulls are really bad about pooping on everything there.

maumann likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They filmed a scene of The Natural at the old Buffalo station. It’s the scene where Roy and the scout arrive in “Chicago”.

Forgotten Buffalo featuring Locations of the Natural

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Same here. It's almost like it was a doomed project from the start. Instead of building it downtown, Michigan Central built it next to its freight right of way with the idea of 1. adding a tunnel under the Detroit River to pay for it, 2. that other industry would eventually expand that way. It wasn't particularly convenient because you needed to take a streetcar or bus to get to it and had very little car parking. So it wound up as a big white elephant when train travel waned after World War II and white flight went west and north of the city proper.

The New York Central was trying to unload it for a mere $5 million as early as 1956, so its decline matches the Packard plant in many ways.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was in downtown Detroit right before COVID hit; man it was bleak. Terrible.

maumann likes this.
  12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted