1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

a marketplace of ideas

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They just halted trading on Twitter's stock.

Word is that Elon Musk is going to go through with the purchase at the $54.20 he offered.

3. The Big Ragu

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The invisible hand of the market? Or the visible hand of litigation ?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I look forward to the day we launch him into space

6. The Big Ragu

The best part of this from what I am gathering. ... the hold up right now is that Twitter wants a guarantee from the court that if they drop the litigation he's not going to reneg all over again.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The day after he tweets in support of Putin. Hmmm.....

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Why is Loretta Lynn dead and Musk is still leaving slime trails everywhere?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

With the market taking a step or two toward reality, I figured his financing would go AWOL. Signed, a simplistic view from someone who has little knowledge of the markets.

10. The Big Ragu

I was thinking about this earlier.

Tesla's stock is down since he made the offer, and that is his collateral for whatever financing he needs. But it's down less than a lot of other things.

He needs $44 billion. He already owns about 9 percent of the company, so that takes care of $4 billion. He had already lined up $7 billion of equity financing in May. So he still needs $33 billion. He sold something like $15.5 billion of Tesla stock earlier this year, but my understanding was that a lot of that went toward a tax bill on stock options he had exercised.

My guess is he has more equity financing lined up. So I am curious how much debt financing he's going to need. The money will be there if he needs it, but the bad thing for him is that the cost of that financing has gone up by a lot since he made his offer, as interest rates have gone up. Which is kind of delicious because he has been maybe the biggest beneficiary on earth of cheap money, so if he ends up having to roll over debt constantly at increasing cost, and Twitter's business struggles to keep up with the interest payments, he could end up getting slaughtered.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that Twitter’s popularity has sunk in the past 6 months. It’s not monetized the way FB and TikTok are. Musk can try and tie it into an uncensored free for all, but trumpers don’t buy TESLA. Tesla’s customers by definition are left of center and well off. BMW and Mercedes are coming with more and better Electric cars. Hyundai and Kia are coming close to making affordable electric cars. TESLA is beginning to look and act like a generic car and without being unique it losses it’s premium price.

Tesla will become the Oldsmobile or Mercury of the electric cars.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted