1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This doesn't happen unless there's another October surprise (i.e. she's discovered to be a Klingon who had LeVar Burton's love child). GOP already got rid of the worst of the bunch (Cawthorne) in the primary, they'll want to keep this seat and they'll probably spend a ton to do so.

MileHigh and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  2. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Does it really, though? Asking because I don't know. If you owe me $50 and I tell you you only owe me $40, I just get $40. I didn't pay for anything.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Vile nonsense

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There's a long way to go. Today's announcement the price of gas will again skyrocket -- just in time for the election -- is frightening. The Saudis and Russians are conspiring to make it happen. Sen. Ron Johnson, who holds a steady lead even though he may be the most odious of all Senators, will rejoice.
    And suddenly, quite a few Republicans will flip their support back to Mother Russia.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The timing is interesting. I never thought of the midterm angle, but it's perfectly timed for that.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no guarantee that the price of gas is going to skyrocket (that isn't me saying it won't). Part of what the Saudis have been saying is that there is a disconnect between the physical price of oil and where the financial markets are pricing it. ... and that is a fact. But the logical reason for that would be that the financial markets are sniffing out a severe global recession just on the horizon. If that is the case, they will be tightening supply into decreasing demand and the price might go nowhere or even come down, depending on how much demand drops off.

As for the "timing," they are focused on themselves. I know Americans think everything revolves around their tribal politics, but U.S. politics had nothing to do with their decision. Their net output is going to decrease by 900,000 or a million barrels a day. ... which is exactly what the U.S. has been dumping into the market from the strategic petroleum reserve. Tapping the SPR has been taking money out of their pockets. They are taking it back in a "two can play that game" kind of way.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"Winning is a virtue."

That's a sentiment I'm hearing more and more from rank and file Republicans, including friends in unguarded moments. They love Trump because they think he's a winner who will never admit defeat. He's literally a vessel for all the antisocial insecurities of a large swath of this country. I know there's similar sentiment on the left, that the ends justify the means. More and more I'm coming to think that having enemies in both camps is the only path forward. I despise the silent condoning on both sides.

If nothing else, this epoch has brought into bas relief how petty, self-serving and short-sighted so many people are, people you'd otherwise consider respectable. I worry that that breeds cynicism, that I should be saying fuck-all to ideology and order and become a nihilist. But then I remember my daughter, my deceased parents. I will not encourage and enable a world of people who put party and tribe above truth and dignity. Maybe I'm sheltered, fortunate, don't have the same concerns as others, the same disadvantages.

But dammit all, I was born a ginger and everyone on both sides hates us -- even now -- so don't talk to me about white male privilege....

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Velma coming out in the Scooby Doo movie and why this is horrible for Biden and the woke Dems, next on Fox News.

matt_garth and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And then: Scooby-Coup, Where are Q?

"I would have won the 2020 election if it weren't for you meddling voters."

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Boebart is only up two points in the latest poll.

A candidate this poor would get flattened in any other election cycle.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You had an asset that was worth $50 and you voluntarily devalued it by $10.

It's pretty straightforward, but if it doesn't seem straightforward, consider two things: 1) forgiven debt is almost always treated as taxable income by the IRS and state revenue agencies (although one or the other of the Biden rescue bills waived that liability through 2025, but at least that was duly passed by Congress); 2) the Congressional Budget Office has scored the forgiveness boon at around a $400 billion addition to the federal deficit.

Now if everyone comes to agree that something like this isn't an expenditure subject to the Constitution, then I can't wait to see the reaction when a supply-side-ish President "forgives" all income tax liability (corporate or individual) resulting from a top marginal rate in excess of, e.g., 20%.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I paid $7.29 for gas today; once folks in her district start paying $6, she'll be in like Flynn and Herschel will roll over Warnock like he's Brad Bates.

Draft saved Draft deleted