1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 6 thread: UCLA Confidential

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Would ... but not for a sawbuck.

I wonder if anyone submitted fried crudite as an entry in Dr. Oz's honor, considering how red Texas is.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From my old days, 20-plus years ago, the local bookies would allow you to move a line 1 or 1.5. On the app I use, I can move Auburn from +29.5 to +38. Am I crazy for thinking that 32 cents on the dollar return is easy money?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

With a likely backup quarterback starting? Yes. Take your pennies on the money line and look elsewhere.

4. dixiehack

Welcome to the 21st century Rock Chalk. This is a much better selling proposition than “Art everywhere.”

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I guess my question is more general gambling. Do all the apps allow you move the line that much? I can take the Vols to +6.5 from -3, for example.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep, at increasing/decreasing odds. I'll mess with lines in parlays sometimes but rarely will I do it straight up.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Games I like this week, the week Ol' Gil turns things around!

• Washington State +12.5 at USC - Wazzu is a solid team. This line feels like it's five or six points too high.

• Duke -3.5 at Georgia Tech - Every time a coach gets fired mid-season their team seems to get one good game the following week before they show why the coach got fired in the first place. With a small line against a still bad team, give me the Dukies.

• Arkansas +9.5 at Mississippi State - Mississippi State is better than people give them credit for, but Arkansas isn't as bad as people think. Another line that just feels a few points too high, so give me Arkansas.

• Tulane -3.5 vs. East Carolina - I've been high on Tulane all season, and they're playing pretty well. They have a good chance to win the American. East Carolina feels like a middle of the pack team. Again, with a short line, give me Tulane.

• Utah -3.5 at UCLA - Did anyone realize UCLA has won eight games in a row going back to last season? They're another team that might be better than they're getting credit for. Utah has been dumptrucking folks since that misstep at Florida, though, and I think they add another body to the count here.

• James Madison -11.5 at Arkansas State - Other than squeaking out a quality road win at Appalachian State, James Madison has been obliterating people. I think they're legitimately good, and Arkansas State is not good enough to hang with them.

And a couple of games I really wanted to like, but just couldn't:
    • Auburn +29.5 at Georgia - Auburn isn't great by any means, but they're not the worst SEC team you'll ever see. This is a huge line that should be worth a value play, but for some reason I'm seeing a "Georgia 51, Auburn 7" chyron in my head.

• Alabama -24 vs. Texas A&M - If Bryce Young is a full go, you could probably double this line and I'd take it. I'm thinking Alabama has had this one circled for a long time. But if Young isn't at full speed and they go with the backup QB, it might slow them down just enough to where a 24-point line is in play more than I'd like. A tough pass.
    I actually tried to bet this game on Thursday when the line was 23.5. While I had it queued up, they moved the line back to 24 and temporarily took it off the board. Maybe that's a sign.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If there's an underdog I like I'll sometimes try to see if moving them to a .5 or 1 point favorite will give a little bump to the odds, instead of the straight money line. A lot of times, though, I realize doing that would only net me an extra dollar and it's better to just pay for the extra points.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Even with improvements made to both facilities over the years, between Memorial Stadium and Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas might have the oldest football/basketball facilities in D1 athletics.

PS: I have never been to Allen Fieldhouse. I hear it's a wonderful place to watch a game, age of the building notwithstanding.

10. dixiehack

KJ Jefferson is a game-time decision with a possible concussion. That’s why Clanga is such a heavy favorite.

Batman likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ah, OK. That makes a little more sense. I think that game opened at 5.5, and I was wondering why it jumped so much.

12. dixiehack

That is the saddest chip shot miss from Houston you will ever see. Thought it was blocked until I watched replay.

Draft saved Draft deleted