1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 6 thread: UCLA Confidential

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 3, 2022.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

UAT could have had 11 scarecrows and Texas A&M wasn't going to score on that play.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I love the eyes of every coach filming their coach’s show. Absolute death in them every single time.

Only Jim Tressel ever looked chipper in them.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Bobby Bowden's was must-see TV back in the day, even in Gainesville.

"Dadgumit, we had 'em contained on that play and that boy just broke through for a big gain. But look how we stuck 'em on that next one."

"I betcha his momma in Niceville was proud of how he made that tackle right there."

"Great job of blocking by ol' No. 78 there. He's from Wewahitchka. One of them Panhandle linemen."

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard them talking about the quarterback and OC situation in the fourth quarter (but went to bed about halfway through it and missed that finish). The safety-turned-QB they said transferred from Mississippi State ... I follow Mississippi State and had never heard of the guy. So you have a fourth-string QB who couldn't break through at at mid-level SEC program so he transferred and converted to a safety, then back to a quarterback, as your starting QB. That seems sub-optimal.

This 2022 San Diego State team, though, was a dumpster fire before that. They looked like ass against Arizona and Utah, a couple of teams they normally would have given a run for their money, and haven't been very impressive against the lesser teams on their schedule. It's a stunning fall for what had been a solid G5 program for a good while.

mpcincal likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Saban would rather have a daily root canal than ever have to do another show.

Hermes likes this.
  6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I think that’s what helps him as a pitchman
    You can tell in those AFLAC ads he’s uncomfortable and awkward as hell

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Thanks Nick. Now let's break out those Golden Flake chips!"

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don’t understand that language, but I love the term green-dogging.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think that's a great clip, explaining the thought process that goes into just one of more than 150 plays in a game. All in a 30-second window, dealing with hyped-up 18-year-old kids, trying to figure out assignments for 11 players, with the place going absolutely crazy and so much on the line.

Not an Alabama fan. But Saban is a great, great college football coach, and that clip is a great example why. I'd really love to see what he could do if he retired and went back to Kent State, a school without Alabama's resources.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Saban at least gets to knock out the show at the in-stadium studio as soon as the crowd clears out. Poor Gene Stallings had to schlep all the way across town to the independent UHF station on Jug Factory Road for a program that looked like it was shot with a Super 8 camera. (This was his first season. By the time I got to campus in 93 they had ditched the “modern” opening in favor of the establishing shot of Denny Chimes from the Bryant era.)

Speaking of the Bear, he had a 50-mile one-way trip on Sundays up Red Mountain to the Birmingham NBC affiliate, fortified only with Golden Flake chips and ** cough, cough ** ice-cold Coca Cola.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Alabama head coach murdered in sleep by Ms. Terry”

Batman and micropolitan guy like this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I for one welcome our Shenandoah Valley overlords.

maumann, Chef2 and heyabbott like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted