1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 6 thread: UCLA Confidential

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

coastal now the only unbeaten not ranked

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

They have to let JMU play in a bowl.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes, they did.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Two-time losers here: Tyrone Willingham, Charlie Weis and Todd Graham. Did I miss anyone?

[​IMG]

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Also a good example of how, as fans, we think we know and understand football and really don't know anything.
    We all watched that play and saw a terrible play call by Texas A&M (which it was), but then Saban explains in 90 seconds how Alabama made it even worse with a really great defensive play that left the quarterback with absolutely no good options.
    I think one of the first things Saban said was also key to that — "This was a formation they ran earlier ..."
    Jimbo tried to go to the well twice and it dried up. Alabama knew what was coming.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    dixiehack and tapintoamerica like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hugh Freeze shouldn't be on there. Even with a scandal-ridden exit and probation on the way out, he had enough on-field success at Ole Miss that its fans don't care.
    Ironically, his spiritual successor at Ole Miss Lane Kiffin could easily slide into that spot for his stints at Tennessee and/or USC.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For the first time in his life, Jeremy Pruett is underrated.
    And for the 1,000th time, Butch Jones goes unrated!

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Muschamp is 11th and 16th! HAHAHA

And if Mullen was 51st, the Gators would have a trifecta of terrible hires.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tom Holmoe at Cal. Keith Gilbertson at Washington. Gary Anderson at Oregon State. Buddy Teevens at Stanford. Willie Taggart at Oregon. Bill Doba at Washington State. And that's just the old Pac-12 Northern Division!

MileHigh and ChrisLong like this.
  10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

If one wanted to put together a Mountain West list, San Diego State had two in a row in the 2000s who could qualify: Tom Craft and Chuck Long.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There are two former Tulane assistants on that list.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would be inclined to put Jon Embree higher. His last team was the worst 1-11 rteam I ahve ever seen.

I also think that Mel Tucker should be on the list at Colorado. Not just because he departed after going on three radio shows promising fealty to Colorado. But he also departed in February. He took the best assistants and left the weaker coaches behind but on contract. Because it was in February competent assistants were under contract so the Dorrell was stuck with a weak staff.

Recruiting also was destroyed by having two coaching turnovers in consecutive years.

Given Michigan State's success last year I don't think that Tucker makes the list of top 50 worst hires. But given the length and amount of Tucker's new contract and Michigan State's on the field performance this year I think there is a very good chance that extension will go down as the worst in history.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted