1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No one rolls out of bed one day, turns on a switch and becomes an anti-Semitic, racist, homophobe. And since there were no complaints about his politics leaking out, it’s pretty clear that the kardashian klan and Kenye West share the same political beliefs. Maybe the Kardashians are just a wee bit more adroit in suppressing their bigotry publicly.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

How does it happen?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don’t know why someone would hate Black Jewish Homosexuals. Probably daddy issues.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I suppose it "can be thought of" that way. Then again ...

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think the quote from Ian Kershaw in that first link sums it up: Trying to define 'fascism' is like trying to nail jelly to the wall.

With Donald Trump came a kind of (moronic) populism rooted in authoritianism and a cult of personality. Is that fascist or semi-fascist?

OK. But labeling him is kind of pointless by now, isn't it?

As disgaceful as the Republican party is in allowing itself to be coopted by a dishonest con man. ... let's not let the discussion cloud the fact that populism is endemic in all of American politics now. The Democrats may not have totally ceded themselves to someone as dishonest or mercurial as Donald Trump yet, but the flavor of populism that now defines them as a party is not entirely disimilar from the rhetoric he cons millions of disaffected people with. The flavor is slightly different, but they also use identity politics, scapegoating of others and making promises of the government rewarding certain constuencies and punishing others. And to the extent they have been able to follow through on it, it has been authoritarian by its very nature, too.

America has become the place where individualism came to die.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ.

9. doctorquant

Taxation can be thought of as theft.

The climate movement can be thought of as a religion.

BLM can be thought of as a cult.

Trans activists can be thought of as groomers.

Need I go on as re: the utter idiocy of the "can be thought of as" rhetorical device?

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Our society failed when we thought we needed the Kardashians' or West's opinions about anything.

TigerVols, wicked and heyabbott like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People do this when they are trying to frame something they disagree with. They typically compare someone or something to something they know others will find extreme.

The thing is, not all rhetorical devices are equal.

Trump as a "semi fascist" strikes me as closer to being on point than climate change is a "religion."

Draft saved Draft deleted