1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's similar to the "studies support" thus-and-such assertion. Well, yeah ... then again, that's true about pretty much any damn thing under the sun.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

People keep making the same mistake of believing having or making money equals intellectual success or ability. No where is this more evident than trump. And this is why half the country at any given time tells celebrities to stay in their lane. No one on the left wants to hear what kanye West thinks about politics any more than people on the right want to hear from LeBron James.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Language sidebar here.

Saying something is "semi-" anything is essentially a comic device, thanks entirely to one Dan Jenkins of Ft. Worth, Texas.

Long may he wave.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The "studies support" thing is an attempt to gloss over specifics. You can't point to anything specific that creates the cause and effect you want to assert, so you use pudding.

I still come back to the rhetorical device you are talking about not neceessarily being complete idiocy. In the case of Trump = semi-fascist, it's not as if a person saying that can't back it up with a gazillion very specific things he has said and done that smack of an authoritarian / racist / nationalist (or other things that people usually associate with fascism) wannabe.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One way to deal with this crap is deprive them of the benefits that come with being associated with people who support LGBQT and trans prople; no federal funds for your district. Good luck with that.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely not put out with the depiction of Trump. You could call him semi-human and I'd not quibble.

The "can be thought of as" thing that stuck in my craw had to do with that "vast space between Reagan and Mussolini." Sure, it can be thought of as "semi-fascism," but then again, the same could be said of that "vast space" between, e.g., JFK and Franco, or RFK and JFK, or (INSERT POLITICAL FIGURES HERE).

OscarMadison and X-Hack like this.
  8. heyabbott

The Christians already plan on doing that. No federal funds on districts that respect LBGTQ

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You don't need to convince me Jonathan Chait sucks.

doctorquant likes this.
  10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

abbott-

The hero worship in the Republican Party - close to idolatry - existed before Trump.
    These individuals do not want representative democracy, they do not want a free press, they just want to live in somebody's kingdom.
    Where they and their king can do whatever the hell they want.

11. heyabbott

Nixon(Reagan + Gingrich) =‘Trump

Octave likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I am thankfully off work this week enjoying the fruits of my labor.
    It's 10 a.m., I'm sitting the beach surf fishing, catching a few, drinking a few more beers. I'm at my happiest place on Earth, not thinking about anything and certainly not worrying about anything
    Some random lardass woman walks by. We exchange pleasantries, then she says, "Thanks to Joe Biden, it's a wonder any of us can come to the beach."
    Why. Why go there?
    Just because I outwardly resemble your klan - other than weighing 300 pounds and having more college degrees than you do teeth - why would your start that crap with a random stranger on a beach?
    If it had been a bi-racial gay handicap couple of immigrants who walked by and said "F Trump" I'd be saying the same thing.

OscarMadison, MTM, X-Hack and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted