1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Reminds me of some of the headlines Mississippi Valley State's SID (the team is currently 0-6) has been cranking out this season.

https://mvsusports.com/news/2022/9/...su-answers-with-49-unanswered-in-setback.aspx

MVSU-1.jpg

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Offenses must have eaten their Wheaties this week. Local team got crushed 89-0, 6A powerhouse DeSoto hung 86 on a district opponent, and I see tons of 65-plus scores on the state scoreboard. The weather was perfect, so that may be the reason.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I count 11 games from last night in Alabama where the winning team scored 60 or more, including two with 70-plus and two more that finished 69-0 (nice). By contrast there were only nine games in which the winning team was held under 20 points. Those games used to be as common as crab grass.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

We're also starting to get to the time of the year that depth matters. Some HS teams only have one playable option at QB, HB, OL, DL, etc., and pretty much all teams scout via tape now. If you have weaknesses, other teams are going to find them.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not a score, just a story from a high school game. I think I met the most honest man in America last night.
    At halftime I was in the school's gym adding up stats, and there's a partition between that area and the concession stand. A guy sees me and asks if I'm up in the press box. I tell him no, but I can get a message up there if he needs me to. He then pulls out a $10 bill and says he found it by the bleachers, and asks me to take it up there to see if they can find out whose it is. I suggested he keep it, but he didn't want it.
    I took it up to the press box and gave it to an assistant principal working the PA. Told him the story and suggested he just put it in the concession stand till, which he did.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"We have a $10 bill up here in the press box. Please claim it by giving us the correct serial number and name of the treasury secretary."

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

West High School, in Central Texas near Waco, beat Maypearl, 89-0. West scored 55 in the first quarter, and had five defensive TDs and one on special teams in the first.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Bizarre but in a better fashion. In fact, it could be Kansas Six-Man Scorigami.

Northern Valley 52, Golden Plains 4. The two-safety game.

Bizarre in the sense that we're used to:
    Southeast of Saline 94, Lyons 0. It's an 11-man score. And I haven't seen any of the bitching about this one that I saw with the Andale score. It could be because Southeast of Saline isn't a state power like Andale.
    Trojans trounce Lyons in 94-0 rout

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Followed by about 100 people rushing to take their best guess, which is why we concurred that donating it to the school was the best option.

maumann likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It took a second to make the connection, but since it's a few pages back ...

Nickerson 28, Lyons 0 (season opener)
    Andale 108, Nickerson 0 (Week 4)
    Southeast of Saline 94, Lyons 0 (Week 7)

And if you're curious to see how a team scores 46 in the first quarter:

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The losing coach abruptly resigned Monday and deleted his social media. Must've had a sign from Death Realty planted in his yard.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Normal score, bizarre way to get there.

Draft saved Draft deleted