1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dale Earnhardt and David Pearson are rolling over in their graves. Rubbin’s racin’.

Don’t want to be in the position where a backmarker ruins your season? Get to the front.

I thought NASCAR didn’t let you take a vehicle to the garage anymore for repairs? I know they extended the time limit for the DVP, but I thought that all had to be done on pit road.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Maybe that "Which RCR car will Tyler Reddick drive?" problem has been solved.

I suspect he'll drop into Kurt Busch's seat.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You're not a top-notch NASCAR driver until Lee Spencer pinches your butt on the way to the podium.

All kidding aside, Lee and Reid are some of the nicest folks in the media center. Because Reid also covers golf, I got to see him every January at the PGA Show in Orlando for a stretch. Glad they're still making a living out of it. And sorry about the Cardinals (no, not really).

franticscribe and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That indirectly cost Harvick a championship, because of his obsession with all things Chase Elliott over the final two months.

So many ways to twist yourself into a pretzel, and Scott Miller is good at that. At least they updated the non-existent rulebook so they can penalize spinning someone out under caution, after the commission's appeal ruling. For the days where Daytona just used "actions detrimental to stock car racing" as the cover-all for penalties...

(And everyone currently in race control should be fired. Get one person up in the box making all of the calls, with some competent assistants. Even the Brian Barnhart years in the IRL were better than this. The team of Keystone cops up there now is clueless.)

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

It's just like the strike zone in baseball. Every umpire has a different one, but as long as they're consistent, everybody's OK with that. David Hoots was going to let some stuff go without issue but you knew if there was a speck of tire dust on the track with 10 to go, "Throw It Out!" Bam, caution flag.

Right now, NASCAR drivers have no idea where the limit is or what even constitutes a rules violation. It's like Angel Hernandez took over. Or they have a giant "Wheel of Caution" that they spin in race control.

Driftwood and wicked like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Kurt's the last guy to race against Ironhead. It'll be the end of an era when he hangs it up.

maumann likes this.
  8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

So a guy intentionally slows down to ensure his teammate gets by and into the playoffs. Said guy and crew chief get penalized, while the teammate who benefits gets into the playoffs with no penalty, and the defending champion who gets knocked out of the playoffs due to this situation is stuck on the outside looking in. Did I miss anything?

9. maumann

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bubba Wallace should be parked for the rest of the season for that stunt today.

And if you care: Logano beat.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think they tested this by hosing down the track at Martinsville — not quite as wet as the track would be after an entire day’s worth of moderate rain. There are probably three tracks where you can get away with this: Martinsville, Phoenix and Loudon. I’d imagine the elevation change rules out North Wilkesboro. I’d love to see the carnage it’d cause at Bristol.

Draft saved Draft deleted