1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Discussions you hear when crack addicts are desperate to keep the high going?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

YGBFKM. ... Mr. Sunshine just shot off in his pants. :cool:

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I don't want to keep the high going. I want the economy to fail. Just so you can be proven right.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since we've had one of these "looming" ... remind me how "not raising the debt ceiling" = "default". I'm honestly not being contentious with this ... I'm just curious as to the mechanisms behind one necessarily leading to the other.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The GOP is basically just the fucking mob at this point. Don't get exactly what they want? Burn it all down. Lose an election? Fuck it, claim victory anyway. That doesn't work? Try to overthrow the government.

Yeah, call them on it. The debt ceiling nonsense backfires on them every time. And they want to cut social security and medicare? Go ahead. Fuck around and find out.

And not for nothing, isn't the solvency math on social security going to drastically change relatively soon? Boomers are dying. Gen X (me) is way smaller in population. We'll take a whole lot less of the current pie.

Slacker, heyabbott, Driftwood and 2 others like this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't necessarily mean a credit default. ... but something has to give if they can't borrow. ...

Our Federal government runs on escalating levels of borrowed money. Congress continually spends in a profligate way and does not bring in nearly enough revenue to meet its spending. That creates a fiscal deficit, and it requires our treasury to borrow.

Once they hit the debt ceiling, the treasury can no longer borrow unless Congress raises its debt limit to allow more borrowing. If they don't raise the limit, something has to give obviously.

A credit default on our public debt could be one way to deal with that circumstance. But they could conceivably avoid a credit default by closing parts of the government to save money, and not making scheduled payments on things like Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, veteran's benefits, etc. rather than defaulting on notes and bonds they've issued.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thought that was it.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

So, the first thing a GOP House would do ISN'T banning drag queen story hour?!?!?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I truly wonder if the Ragus of the world grasp that the social safety net programs they despise are a relief valve that keep the common rabble from burning shit down and looting the pieds-a-terre in the silk stocking district if things truly collapse.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The oligarchy he so clearly admires can afford its own security. They'll be fine.

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  12. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

And one day, it'll trickle down to the rest of us, because something something something free markets.

Draft saved Draft deleted