1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

It was Maggie Vespa from NBC news
    I think she’s based in Chicago

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

October in the Southern Hemisphere is the equivalent of April here. In that respect, Australia is very similar to Florida in that spring is fire season.

Nevertheless, that is a weather pattern completely beyond the norm. Makes you wonder if La Niña has a man-made cause.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There are going to be a whole bunch of fishermen who aren't fishermen anymore.

5. Neutral Corner

Depends on whether the crabs have simply moved elsewhere on the Aleutian Shelf or they've gone off the edge into deeper water. If they went deep they'll be extremely hard to harvest.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/10/19/oceans-warming-climate-change/

The world’s oceans have been warming for generations, a trend that is accelerating and threatens to fuel more supercharged storms, devastate marine ecosystems and upend the lives and livelihoods of millions of people, according to a new scientific analysis.

Published this week in the journal Nature Reviews, it finds that the upper reaches of the oceans — roughly the top 2,000 meters, or just over a mile — have been heating up around the planet since at least the 1950s, with the most stark changes observed in the Atlantic and Southern oceans.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is some inside baseball stuff, but people "doing science" at the Washington Post probably need to have a seminar or two on the pecking order of scientific journals. An article in Nature Reviews (which is an online journal started a little more than two years ago) is not the needle-mover one might think. Nature? A big deal. Nature Reviews? Not so much.

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Same publishing group, I think.

https://www.springernature.com/gp/l...rnals/nature-research-journals/nature-reviews

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_Portfolio

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup, it's under the "Nature" umbrella, and it's peer reviewed and well regarded. There are several dozen specialized Nature-titled research journals, as well as the reviews journal, and I believe they are all well regarded.

I thought the WaPo piece was just pointing out what the review found; I get that there are a gazillion research journals out there, but I didn't think this was obscure or insignificant. I didn't look at their work, and even if I did, I am certain I wouldn't be able to evaluate their methods, but I did find it interesting that the ocean has been warming since the 1950s and the pace has accelerated and become relentless over the last decade, and the consequences are some of the things we are seeing right now. I was vaguely aware that the oceans store energy from the atmosphere, but I hadn't thought about the ripple effects our behavior is likely causing. I found the article informative.

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Warming waters cited as "key culprit" in mass die-off of Alaska snow crabs - CBS News

"According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Alaska is the fastest warming state in the country, and is losing billions of tons of ice each year — critical for crabs that need cold water to survive.

"Environmental conditions are changing rapidly," Ben Daly, a researcher with ADF&G, told CBS News. "We've seen warm conditions in the Bering Sea the last couple of years, and we're seeing a response in a cold adapted species, so it's pretty obvious this is connected. It is a canary in a coal mine for other species that need cold water."

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Definitely not a religion ... it's ridiculous to even suggest such.

Draft saved Draft deleted