1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Pat of the issue in Arizona is simply a lack of Democrats with the experience and exposure. There are very few with a high enough profile to have a shot. On paper Hobbs is a good candidate. Unfortunately, she can't answer a question without looking confused and terrified.

Kelly is pretty moderate, has a ton of money, and is running against a guy who comes off as a real douche. Blake Masters won the Republican primary as a Trump guy, but that's probably not enough against a decent incumbent in the general.

It's been the sole focus of the political reporting for weeks. It's not a great look. I haven't seen a lot of evidence that anyone in the public cares, though.

Kari Lake of 2017 is an entirely different person. I don't know her personally, but I'm friends with a lot of people who were extremely close with her before. I don't think anyone who was friendly with her four years ago is still on speaking terms with her. She's gone completely insane. (They knew she was about to announce for governor when her lawyer started sending out letters warning her previous friends and co-workers that they would be sued if they spoke about her in public.)

cyclingwriter2 and Octave like this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

These MAGA fascists view democracy and America the same way U.S. forces did villages in Vietnam circa 1968: they must be destroyed in order to save them.

They wreck the system while decrying voter fraud....all the while worshiping a cretin who was caught on tape begging a Georgia state official to just find him 11,000 votes.

F*ck them. Apocalyptic outrage.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I hear it tastes like its point of origin was in Texas. So it's got that going for it ... which is nice.

maumann likes this.
  4. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Polls do nothing but persuade people answering polls to side with "their" side. The ensuing questions will lead the respondent. So, fuck polls. The poll convinces the masses THAT is what everyone thinks so you should also. How many agree with me?

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Any plausible reason for why she went off the deep end, and so quickly?

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Lake's a psycho Trunt and the world would be a better place without her.

7. PCLoadLetter

Outside of just "total mental breakdown," not really.

One thing that's odd -- people have said she just seemed enthralled with the attention she got when she first started posting crazy stuff on Parler. A good chunk of this may just be plain narcissism. Why a TV news anchor suddenly needs attention of a different kind, I don't know.

wicked likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Governor is the much harder job, for one thing. Mark Kelly would win the governor’s chair. He’d clearly rather be Senator.

9. PCLoadLetter

The AZ Democrat best poised to make a run at a higher office is Rep. Ruben Gallego. He's almost assuredly going to primary Kyrsten Sinema when her senate seat comes up.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The Senate is a good gig. Longest terms in elected office. Yet several of them have quit lately, saying the job sucks. Back in 2016, Lil Marco said it was irrelevant and he wouldn't bother to return if he failed to win POTUS. Then he had a sudden change of heart when Trump kicked his ass in the primaries. He clearly didn't want the job, but Florida has become so vile that Trumpists can't lose there.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted