1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The funniest thing is watching people freaking out over Facebook. Especially because they flip out over much smaller quakes.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You can read the paper yourself and decide if the news stories are hyperbole.

3. Spartan Squad

It is a little … interesting… the person who shrugs at climate change because what can we do anyway and don’t listen to scientists who are more priests than scientists is telling someone else who is shrugging his shoulders over a different thing and wondering what we can do to actually read an article because you need to gather and believe the information provided.

Verily I sayth unto you the word of the most highith Alma.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We had a tiny one by California standards about a dozen years ago. I was in bed asleep, and my dog came running down the hall whining, which woke me up. A second later, the house shook, and glasses in the cabinet started rattling. I thought two cars had crashed head on in front of the house, so I jumped up to look around. I obviously didn't see anything, figured I'd been dreaming, and went back to bed.
    When I got up later and checked the news, we had had an earthquake.

maumann and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

When I was in Europe I got awakened by a jolt at about 3:30 a.m. I thought somebody was trying to wake me up. Turned out it was a 5.8 in the Netherlands.

It was completely silent, no Sensurround bullshit like in the movies.

7. Spartan Squad

It was silent? Usually I know there’s an earthquake because I hear the house more than I can feel it. Today I heard it before I felt it.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I rarely feel the dish-rattlers, even if I'm sitting down. It is surprising to get them here in northeast Georgia but the Appalachians have some active seismic zones.

The Loma Prieta? That sucker felt like the couch was moving up and down over six-foot swells, and we were a good 150 miles from the epicenter in Vacaville. If the Hayward Fault ever lets loose with a 7.0 or greater, the devastation will be mind-boggling.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, no doubt about the Hayward Fault. San Andreas has been talked about for generations. But Hayward? Oh boy.

maumann likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

hyperbole

Climate Pledges Are Falling Short, and a Chaotic Future Looks More Like Reality

Just 26 of 193 countries that agreed last year to step up their climate actions have followed through with more ambitious plans. The world’s top two polluters, China and the United States, have taken some action but have not pledged more this year, and climate negotiations between the two have been frozen for months.

Without drastic reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, the report said, the planet is on track to warm by an average of 2.1 to 2.9 degrees Celsius, compared with preindustrial levels, by 2100.

That’s far higher than the goal of 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) set by the landmark Paris agreement in 2015, and it crosses the threshold beyond which scientists say the likelihood of catastrophic climate impacts significantly increases.

With each fraction of a degree of warming, tens of millions more people worldwide would be exposed to life-threatening heat waves, food and water scarcity, and coastal flooding while millions more mammals, insects, birds and plants would disappear.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

hyperbole

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/10/25/flood-zone-homes-buyouts/

In this stretch of the Mid-Atlantic, waters are rising at among the fastest rates in the world — a U.S. government station in Myrtle Beach has recorded nearly 10 inches of sea level rise since the late 1950s, and the trend has accelerated in recent years. Add to that more intense hurricanes, torrential rainstorms, feverish development that alters water flow and other factors, and more and more communities like this one find themselves in the path of floodwaters.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted