1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The rail line up through Cajon Pass crosses a narrow portion of the San Andreas, so while railfanning years ago I made sure to have my picture taken while standing in it.

maumann likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't all these "minor" quakes still damage foundations and/or at least flooring?

Heck, several years ago when I was living an in area with new neighborhoods still popping up, blasting from a half mile down the street cracked my kitchen tile and outdoor stucco.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Less than you would imagine. Things in California are built to not get seriously damaged in big quakes so they handle little ones pretty well.

OscarMadison, MileHigh and maumann like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I would imagine earthquake standards in California are similar to hurricane standards along the Southeast coast, and with each successive one, the new standards increase.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Learned something new (and interesting) as a result of your post. The bigger risk is of the house sliding off the foundation, not collapsing on it. So one of the big retrofits is to seriously bolt the house to the foundation.

7. Spartan Squad

That was a problem my dad had to havefixed in the house I grew up in. We had pillars rather than a true slab so we needed to get our house bolted down.

We also had you worry about rooms over our garage. We had a three car garage with two bedrooms above it. The worry was what happened to the apartments in the 94 Northridge quake where the ones with car parks underneath fell down. We had to get our garage reinforced.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    maumann and doctorquant like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

9. doctorquant

That writer chose some intriguing phrasing early on ... "end of days" ... "doom" ...

But per several 'round here you are the only one who's detected more than a whiff of eschatology in the climate change discussion.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I’m not at all shocked the New York Times agrees with Alma. Not in the least.

11. doctorquant

They got to the Times!

12. Spartan Squad

Draft saved Draft deleted