1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Social media is a net negative on society. The internet's been around a while. We didn't have this proliferation of nutjobs until social media exploded.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agreed. By way of example, I often bring up a really good friend of mine. He was more right wing and very pro-Rush and O’Reilly. But you could have a conversation with him and find some common ground. Those days got less and less frequent and by 2020, he was a raving loon. Everything was pedophiles and stolen elections and Hunter Biden. I blocked him on social media but others in our group sometimes screenshot for me what he says. If he was at January 6th, I wouldn’t have been shocked.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ve been trying (though not with 100 percent consistency) not to click on tweets since Cartoon Villain Billionaire Guy closed the deal on Twitter. I have no illusion my act will turn the moral tide; just a personal decision.

Shit is hard to quit. It really is a compact way to summarize an event in a way other than what comes across an AP wire feed. Already I know there are good sized chunks of the conversation on this thread I’m missing.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

It's still invaluable as a news feed. I don't tweet that often anyway.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I haven’t sent a tweet in years, and that was mostly as part of a freelance gig. It has incredible value as a news feed, which is what makes this so infuriating. I’m hoping this whole stunt goes supernova and collapses under its own weight Ye-style but if not I can’t promise I’ll have the fortitude to stick it out. Not judging anyone who stays on there, especially for professional reasons.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, don't kid yourself, there were plenty of nutjobs around.

sgreenwell and tapintoamerica like this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Maybe. But not this many. And they weren't able to gather en masse, or have their message amplified. Like I said, net negative.

Having to make actual phone calls or texts to relatives and friends would be worth it for social media to have never existed in the first place.

tea and ease, wicked and doctorquant like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Indeed. There have always been nut jobs. Before Twitter et al, they didn't have a vehicle with which to express their angst in the heat of the moment. They just yelled things at the wall or to their buddies in a bar. Now the audience can be millions thanks to a few subsequent clicks.

garrow, doctorquant and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

LOL. Prisoners are going to enjoy that Grade F meat and delicious Malk.

Draft saved Draft deleted