1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Twitter could split into strands allowing users to stage rows, Elon Musk says

Elon Musk has indicated that Twitter could be split into different strands where users give their posts content ratings and stage online rows in a specially created space on the platform.

The world’s richest man moved to assuage concerns about a rise in harmful content under his ownership on Friday by announcing the creation of a content moderation council.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Best-case scenario is that one of them has credentials to the database and can execute the command to destroy it on the way out.

wicked likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not a business genius like Musk, but I see significant risks in getting rid of executives and employees with the know-how and probable access to capital that would allow them to set up a competitor to Twitter in short order, let alone trying to screw them on their way out the door. Also opening myself up to yet more litigation, litigation I'm likely to lose.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Presumably he knows every one of these executives he fires "for cause" will sue him.

But - like Trump and his nuisance suit business model - Musk figures that over time some will give up and some will settle.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Do you know many people eager to be sued into
    Bolivian? These are rich people. They have something to lose.

Also, this is Saudi oil money that person would be messing with. Might as well jump off a building and save yourself the torture death.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's why they'll sue and/or set up a competitor. If the Saudis will give a bunch of golfers all that money, they'll be more than willing to buy off people who might expose untoward facts through the courts or worse, downgrade the value of their investment in Twitter (which is an even dumber investment than golf IMO).

8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He’s just asking questions! Marketplace of ideas! What is truth anyway?

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Twitter has been a cesspool for years. I didn’t think Musk buying it would really matter.

But on Day 3 he’s elevating QANON bullshit and a GOP conspiracy theory.

I hope Twitter implodes, Musk loses all of that $44B, the rest of his money and is left holding his tiny dick.

qtlaw and matt_garth like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

moderation council

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Get out.

I feel bad for people whose business or job is tied to Twitter, but get out.

The dream of an open marketplace of ideas online died long ago.

SFIND and qtlaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted