1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I mean, I hear ya' and I respect that you're not one of the crazies.

But you tell me: How is the GOP going to take its party back from the nutcases?

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The only way is consecutive bad electoral losses. Which, thanks to GOP gerrymandering, we aren’t likely to see for at least a decade. Something to look forward to for everyone.

And Alma can keep claiming he’s not a conservative, as none of his rights are being slowly eroded.

Good times.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One suggestion would be to stop trying to play off the attack on Pelosi as the result of mental illness while refusing to acknowledge the role narratives being pushed by Republicans played in such behavior.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Upstate New York is much Trumpier than people think. Especially with a Stefanik to rally around.

How a G.O.P. Star Is Trying to Push Left-Leaning New York Toward Trump

“We are seeing the results of one-party Democrat rule both in Albany and in Washington, and it has created crisis, after crisis, after crisis,” Ms. Stefanik said, with her lines of attacks on the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, and other Democrats drawing the most applause.

“The bad ideas that start in Albany, often times they percolate to Washington,” she added.

Ms. Stefanik, the chair of the House Republican Conference, is at the forefront of a push for her party to regain control of Congress, and she believes that New York — perennially a Democratic state — can lead the way. She predicts that Republicans will win 15 of the state’s 26 House seats.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also, there are differences.

Pritzker has way more name recognition as an incumbent than Hochul, who has never been elected governor.

And even though they are both Republicans and their positions are nominally similar, Bailey comes off as way more as "right wing Trumpy," and says more outrageous things than Zelden, who is Jewish (not right wing Christian) and comes from Long Island, where the racism / nationalism stuff doesn't play.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How many hours a day does Kari Lake spend in the tanning bed? I'm not sure you can get that coloring naturally, even in Arizona.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I am a conservative in some ways. In other ways, not. But that's been true of a lot of long-time Democrats and independents.

I'm consistently trying to figure out where progressives think it's OK to not be progressive, and still be accepted as a rational being.

Azrael likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One of the truths of our new politics, I think, is how we use and define words like 'conservative' and 'progressive.'

Both of 'em seem pretty spongy to me in the current moment.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Lake n'Bake

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not to speak for Doc, but I suspect he’s in the position of the Air Force colonel from Wargames. “I’d piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help.”

None of us have the secret for short-circuiting this kind of crazy. And we’re scared shitless about it, but that doesn’t mean we can’t go about our lives in the meantime.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted