1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Everything will be conveniently released Nov. 9, when it's basically irrelevant anymore. I hope no one's taking vacation time that day!

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I would suggest that the partisan leanings of a sailor/homebrewer/college professor (pick whichever order you prefer) seem hardly worth the electrons disturbed in discussing them.

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

OK ... so you participate in the politics thread only *tisk tisk* the libs?

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

You and I see a much different Long Island. Racism and nationalism isn’t as quite worn on the sleeve as other places. But it’s there and it does play.

And Zeldin’s only real quality is nut job. He’s a insurrection supporter. Pushed the lie and voted to overturn the election results even after the violent attack on the Capitol. Fucking lying nut job.

Outside of that he’s an empty suit. Other than thinking concealed weapons on mass transit is a good idea.

Webster likes this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agree -- Suffolk County has a hell of a lot of the Trump element.

matt_garth likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A man's gotta get his kicks somewhere!

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m shockingly conservative fiscally for a Democrat. I think Keynesian economics should be reserved for only the most dire of situations and when times are good we should as a country make up for the bad ones by tightening our belt and use windfalls to fill in the ensuing gaps. I believe in the power of the entrepreneurial spirit. That hard work works and that luck isn’t why people are successful. As much as I act like a dick and play the fool towards Ragu and Alma because I just enjoy messing with anyone so sure of themselves as to be totally humorless, I ascribe to their thinking probably way more than they think. I actually think there should be a point at which abortions should be illegal. And that political correctness has gone a click or two too far recently. I think it’s okay to question whether the effort of fighting climate change is useless and may kill more people than it saves. I think nuclear power is a good idea.

But the Republicans got so crazy they cannot even compete for my vote. I’ll take fiscal policies I’m not crazy about over crazy people every day.

If it’s not clear enough yet, we are in the antebellum stage of a modern civil war. All our distractions obscure that much more than it did in the 1850s. While it surely won’t play out like that one did, we are about to experience something no one alive in this country has ever experienced once the precarious nails of cheap credit and plentiful resources cannot hold these rotting boards together anymore. Actual hatred between Americans. Not regional pride. Not the kind of hatred a football rivalry produces. The kind of hatred that makes you dehumanize another person, to want to see actual harm, destitution and death befall them. I try to repeat to myself Lincoln’s pleading to not be enemies, but I don’t se a road back to mere dislike anymore. I don’t know what it looks like, but something awful comes next.

Happy election day.

(I’ve been watching a sick 3-year old for two days without sleeping but two hours, so forgive my drama. I always took stabs at writing in the wee hours and awoke to hate them after eight hours sleep…)

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

“You’re crazy, so stop being horrible” is not a strategy to either change the political nature of the country or win people over to your side

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I nominate Hermes to be modern EA Poe.

OscarMadison and Woody Long like this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My friend who based a character on me in a book wrote the kid as someone who would speak wordy, navel-gazing soliloquies at the lunch table to awkward silence and then have another character abruptly change the subject.

It was an accurate portrayal of my social life and why my wife pushes alcohol on me at social functions to make me not an awful, awful bore to spend time with. Tequila makes me fun.

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

People think I quote Annie Savoy (“The world is made for people who aren’t cursed with self-awareness”) as a goof. No. I would love to be as dopey and oblivious as those around me.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Let's review:

- Obama let Benghazi happened to cover up his sale of arms to prop up Muslims in his attempt to literally shred the constitution
    - Hillary sold our Uranium to the Russians!
    - Libs are teaching white kids to hate themselves through CRT!
    - Libs are grooming our kids to be gay and/or trans!
    - Dems are actually a secret cult who kidnap babies and drink their blood, and Donald Trump is leading a secret mission to over throw the deep state and the new world order.

Alma: "Yeah but don't call them crazy."

Draft saved Draft deleted