1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't know. I still ain't votin' for Beto, though.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Exactly how much, "Look we're going to ignore elections that turn out like we don't like," will you tolerate before you would vote for Beto?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The two parties are only as good as their ability to get people elected. If nationally, the Republicans pick up seats, it means that whatever it is they are selling is resonating more than whatever it is the Democrats are selling.

If / when that changes so things swing to the Democrats, the messages of the Republican candidates will change.

This has nothing to do with whatever right / left distinctions you all make. The country swings back and forth between the two parties. When people's lives still suck after one has power, they shift to whatever the other is promising, until it's time to vote them out because people's lives still suck.

The type of government both parties give us -- with our government fiscally taking over more and more of our lives, something the same people who are constantly disaffected encourage them to do -- ensures that this ill-fated game just continues on.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

We don't talk about Beto, no, no, no.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. doctorquant

In Beto's case, it'd be a shitpile. But I'll be voting for Ken Paxton's opponent if Election Day happens to be on a day that ends in "y".

But I reject the premise you're advancing, that my voting for (or against) Beto has something to with what "the" GOP is up to. If some GOP governor in, say, Virginia shows his ass about something, am I supposed to factor that in my weighing of the candidates for governor (or the House, or the Senate) in Texas? The guy running for overseer of elections in ... Arizona? ... how big an influence should his chances of winning have on how I vote for, say, Texas attorney general?

Now if you want to say, "As for me, the fact that GOPers are doing this makes it impossible for me to vote for any of 'em," well, that's fine. You do you. But I ain't wired that way.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Sharpen that stick on both ends, why don’t ya?

maumann likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

I know you think Beto's a big phony, but how has Abbott not left you wanting something else? ANYTHING else?

8. doctorquant

Who says I'm voting for him?

9. Regan MacNeil

Is there a third-party candidate? I guess.

[​IMG]

Baron Scicluna and doctorquant like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

So you can bring a long gun to a voting location, but you can't give water to people waiting to vote...

The only person whose career ended because of Jan. 6 is....Liz Cheney

The husband of the speaker of the House had his head smashed in with a hammer, wanted to break the kneecaps of the speaker....and GOP joke about it, spread lies about it and they clutched their pearls so firmly over Kathy F*ckin' Griffn

SCOTUS says racism no longer a problem so it is okay to gut VRA and affirmative action even though a third of the justices got their job from a super-racist demagogue

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. doctorquant

It's Texas ... the chances that my vote "matters" are about as close to nil as you can get.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Don’t blame me. I voted for Kang.

Draft saved Draft deleted