1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Whaaaa the generation after me wants to live here too whaaaa! I have to eventually phase out my oil burning truck so the Earth can maintain balance whaaaa

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

“Change everything” is about a single truck. Yep.

Hesitation on the matter of overthrowing the governments of the “global north” is whining.

3. Spartan Squad

Whaaaaa I want to keep my truck whaaa

And how dare we demand that governments instituted among men deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed be held to a standard that allows our righys endowed by our Creator—that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness—actually live up to that idea. And if any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. And demanding the ability to breathe clean air, drink clean water and live in places of our choosing and not dictated by adverse weather.

You know that life that you Boomers had …

Driftwood likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you think where "we" live ain't dictated by the weather ...

5. Spartan Squad

I see what you mean. I meant more like not living in once thriving places because the water dried up or the land is constantly underwater. But I worded that poorly.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You do realize that there are ghost towns all over the place where nature dictated it, from long before climate change was ever a Thing?
    There are places up and down the Mississippi River that were thriving in the 19th century that are long abandoned because of course changes or flooding. It's well established that if it weren't for man's "interference," New Orleans and Baton Rouge would join them.
    Indianola, Texas, was destroyed twice by hurricanes — in 1875 and 1886 — and is now underwater.
    There's no telling how many farm towns across the Midwest became ghost towns during the Dust Bowl in the 1930s.
    Nature gonna nature. We can adapt to it, we can rebuild from it, but we can never truly conquer it.

8. Spartan Squad

I do realize that. But are we going to let Miami become a ghost town and shrug it off? I don’t mean towns abandoned because the railroad or highways or limited water running out or the like. And the Dust Bowl was as much human doing as it was drought. But there’s adapting because the Mississippi changes course because silt deposits alter the flow toward a town and there’s adapting because extended drought causes the West to become a tinder box and dwindling water makes it unlivable. So that’s what I’m on about. Those extreme weather phenomena. The things that reducing emissions will fix. But Alma gonna Alma and criticize someone calling for the drastic change of our current structure to accommodate all humanity and other life.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My point was that those extreme weather events are hardly new phenomena. Those events have swallowed more towns, over more decades and centuries, than we can count.

10. Spartan Squad

And that’s fair. I guess mine is let’s not help Mother Nature. She’s efficient enough.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The drastic change is the overthrow of the European Union at least and all of the “global north” at most. Do you understand what that’d mean? She doesn’t. Or she does and she knows it’s just a buncha words she’s saying, and people only take her so seriously.

The end of capitalism has serious consequences. Even if you argued the world would be a more moral place if it ended…ending capitalism would create *significant* suffering.

Batman likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

And climate change won’t?

So you live in an affluent country full of affluent means and abilities. Not everyone does.

But if it keeps your truck and precious capitalism, fuck the African nations.

Draft saved Draft deleted