1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My point was tongue in cheek to point out a way to be taken care of in old age for those of us who have been paying in all our lives.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Just relax and remember how absolutely terrible today’s GOP is at actually governing.

It’s gonna be a hell of a show.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I could see McCarthy end up being pushed aside for someone seen as a Trumpier Speaker. Hell, they're already at war with each other over committee chairs. McCarthy doesn't have a tight grip on the caucus like DeLay did when he put Hastert in as a figurehead Speaker. And Boehner and Ryan both struggled as well and they were three times the tactiticians as McCarthy is.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You might be sleep deprived. 538 isn't quite that negative. Still sees basically a toss up in the Senate for who'll control it.

My sense is it'll be 50/50. I don't think Herschel's going to win. Or Masters. Perhaps not even Oz; it's possible people see Fetterman, they see a man trying very hard to do his best, and appreciate that an vote for him. (Whether it's the best thing for him clearly doesn't matter to anyone around him.)

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There have been lots of places and times when one of the parties had complete control of the legislature and executive, and it was all determined via a democratic process. If the people in Wisconsin vote for that in a fair election, c'est la vie.

Now, if those Republicans try to use their supermajority to overturn the democratic institutions and rule of law norms that ensure free and fair elections, yeah, it's a problem. We'll see if that happens. Our democracy has been tested often, and even though it is often a messy process, our system has held up fairly well compared to just about any other place in the world. I'm as cynical as anyone, but I actually do have a decent amount of faith that it will be fine, most likely with the judiciary acting as a check if they go too far to mess with elections.

Azrael likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Recall only that the Wisconsin legislature is so gerrymandered that in 2018 that when 53 percent of the electorate voted for a Democrat, Republicans won 63 percent of the seats. That seems more than mildly undemocratic already.

Mr. Sluggo, Fred siegle and dixiehack like this.
  10. Justin_Rice

I've got terrible news.

In 2020 the Presidential ballot was nearly an even split in Wisconsin. Yet one party is going to come out with total control of state government with veto proof majorities? The coup has already happened.

Woody Long likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Doesn't that speak to, possibly, how singularly awful the (R) candidate for President was perceived in Wisconsin in 2020?

12. Justin_Rice

Draft saved Draft deleted