1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In which election? There were the elections for national HoR members, in which, yes, the vote percentages were thusly skewed (including the 2nd district ... sheesh, 100% of the votes were for the Democrat). But at the state level, in the state senate the vote totals were 52.3-46.9 in favor of the Rs (but whacked in the opposite direction for the state assembly).

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And if my recall is correct, that was due to gerrymandering that had occurred in the early 2010s, well before any of us were talking about Donald Trump and the election BS and associated crazies he launched.

Gerrymandering isn't something new. Your state has a history with it that goes back very far and at times has been ridiculously skewed to benefit the other party.

FWIW, that isn't me saying it doesn't suck. ... but it's not some new conversation related to what is happening today with Donald Trump's BS and the "they are trying to steal elections" fears that I assumed the "I am sure it will be fine" post was getting at.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, Oregonians favor an independent, non-partison redistricting process. The Democratic nominee for governor agreed to an equal number of Ds and Rs on the committee, then the national Ds - who have all computer software, said No - THESE are the maps you will use. And the Rs complained, but knew if they didn't agree to it, the Sec. of State would have likely made more favorable maps, so they agreed to it. Upshot? The Rs have a chance of winning four of the six House seats, more likely to end up 4-2 D though.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm less optimistic. Wisconsin Franco here is already on the record with his thoughts:

Republican says party ‘will never lose another election’ in Wisconsin if he wins

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. These are Trump copycat candidates.

It's still just rhetoric (and I get it ... until it is not). But even if he ever tried to do something dictatorial or overturn an election, as I said, the checks in our system have held up fairly well, even when severely strained. Don't forget, for all of his rhetoric -- as well as tangible attempts to stay in power despite losing -- Donald Trump's BS is coming out of Mar-a-Lago today, not the oval office.

FWIW, after Michels said that, his campaign was putting out statements like this after Evers tried to rally people because of it: "While revving up supporters to get out and vote, Tim was referring to winning and leading and then being rewarded by voters for doing a good job. Any attempt to make more out of that quip shows just how pathetic and desperate Tony Evers and his supporters are getting as we approach election day. They want to talk about anything other than his four years of failure."

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It MAY be. But it could mean overwhelming Democratic wins for some seats and close GOP wins in others. Not unlike popular vote vs. electoral vote math.

That's one word, I believe.

Fred siegle likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Tennessee has had a Republican super majority in the state legislature for more than a decade now, and that's after Democrats controlled both houses from 1996-2006, and '07-08 were split.
    The current makeup is 27-6 in the Senate, and 73-24 in the House.
    Gerrymandering wasn't too bad until this last redistricting where they cracked one of the two D districts (Davidson County, which is Nashville) into three.
    If we had legit districts, it would probably be 6-3 Republican, but after Tuesday, it will be 8-1.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And these goons will be in charge soon?

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My wife is looking over a sample ballot and doing research in preparation for her early voting later today.

For down-ballot offices with relatively obscure candidates, she will be using spelling and grammar errors on campaign websites as one of her deciding factors.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And still…..

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted