1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Often companies file the WARN before a sale is finalized. What that says to me is that no one thought the deal would go through, or that they really wanted to handcuff Musk.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

WARN only says you have to give 60 days notice. If you pay people for those 60 days in lieu of notice, that’s legal.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And it isn't like enough people saw this coming down the pike. I imagine the engineers have left some "easter eggs" or ways to get back in to have some fun when the time arises. I don't tweet. Use it for an occasional message to someone I don't have contact info for, but mostly for reading headlines. If I want lukewarm takes, self-important and misinformed commentary and analysis and half-assed witticismsI know where to go:

: SportsJournalists.com! :);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

maumann and bigpern23 like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's up to people to evaluate for themselves how much a blue checkmark that anyone can buy is worth. But I think people figure these things out for themselves pretty well usually, and they will discount the value of it accordingly when they are left on their own to figure it out.

If they try to monetize the checkmark, I would not be surprised at all if it becomes a joke as uncool to have one, or people are put off by it, because anyone paying for the better treatment by the platform's algorithm that will come with it, will be someone trying to sell something to people.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’ve always wondered why, despite all the stories, no one has actually bought the Bridge.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

meanwhile

maumann likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Lawyer who has advised on far too many WARN Act events here. That is certainly true, but I don’t think that the notices were issued to employees yet, meaning the 60 day pay/notice clock hasn’t started ticking. There’s an “unforeseen business circumstances” test which potentially could obviate the need for some or all of the notice — it was used a lot during the early days of the pandemic but the case law is minimal. The issue here is that everyone knew they would have massive layoffs, sale or no sale. I think that Musk tweeting about sudden loss of advertisers may be a tactic to weasel his way out. Which would be a colossal dick move.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

These people always crack me up when they don’t understand that activists pressuring advertisers or politicians or whomever are not suppressing free speech, but are, in fact, utilizing their own rights to free speech*.

Maybe it’s not so much that Musk or any of the other yahoos who complain about free speech don’t understand it, so much as they know their base doesn’t understand it and will eat it up as they twist themselves into knots to demonstrate their “patriotism.”

*Nevermind quibbling about the obvious lack of governmental restrictions here.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was going to post something similar. The Constitutional free speech guarantee is there to prevent the government from shutting down free expression. Which doesn't apply here, obviously.

But even if he understands that, and he is trying to turn private expression into a free speech issue, what he's pointing to is the exact opposite of what he's suggesting. When activists make a stink and advertisers choose not to advertise because they don't see the value anymore, that is precisely free speech in action. They can start a campaign, but he is also free to weigh in and try to counter anything they have to say. And advertisers remain free (voluntary exchange) to decide whether they want to keep advertising. That is "free speech" in action.

His problem is that those activists freely exercising speech has been persuasive and it's hurting him personally. He's certainly free to try to convince those activists (or bypass them and go right to the advertisers if it is effective) that everyone is wrong about him and his purchase and it's a worthwhile place to advertise.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

You're hired!

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted