1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was an interesting trial because he took the stand in his own defense and said some incredible things.

He was undoubtedly guilty of what they accused him of, but from my perspective I wondered whether it should be criminal in the first place, given that our government is intertwined in so many business interests, it has become something that creates winners and losers to the tune of trillions of dollars for those who have influence, and I don't see how you prosecute Tom Barrack without prosecuting literally thousands of people a year who are guilty of the same behavior and are patted on the back for it publicly.

Barrack is such a manipulative shit. Under oath, he essentially said that Trump's presidency was a disaster for him, that somehow Trump destroyed his professional life (and their association is the reason he was under indictment), and if he could do it all over again he would support someone else. He said on the stand that his clients mocked Trump's intelligence and joked that he couldn't even spell Middle East. But when he had the chance to criticize the Maga movement, he pulled a shifty both sides thing and it's gotten so ugly, tsk tsk tsk, blah blah blah.

The guy makes my skin crawl, but I can see how he could charm the typical jury. The government was so in over its head and Barrack could afford any legal team he wanted. His lead lawyer was a black man (a top White Collar criminal lawyer from what I understand), but my first thought when I learned that was that the choice was made deliberately to tell the jury, "No, he's not one of those racist Trump types. This is all a big misunderstanding."

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So there's a week left in the Florida gubernatorial race. I'm guessing DeSantis thinks he has it in the bag if he's already planning on 2024. But wouldn't that be a pisser if voters still wanting to cast their ballots decide they don't want a two-year lame duck?

It's not going to happen but damn that would be priceless.

Driftwood and garrow like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Who's the Lt. Gov? That's what I'd be harping on. Make it seem like such a sure bet he's going to be a part-time governor over the next two years and split, that you just assume the LtG. will be the guy. Or gal.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And my goodness I tire of "swing voters" - if you are having a tough time deciding in this one - heck, I have more respect for MAGA people thinking they're right than the indecisive jerks on the fence.
    "Well, gas prices and everything is SO expensive, but the Rs ransacked the capital and deny the last Presidential election and cheer on violent political attacks. I'm torn."

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hot damn I want Desantis v. Trump primary soooooooooooo bad.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Kang is the one who won

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I say it every election: The myth about undecided voters is just that — a myth.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Complete mismatch. Trump by a TKO maybe before Super Tuesday. It's choosing between Elvis and an Elvis impersonator. If DeSantis has any information on Trump misdeeds at Mar-a-Lago, his best move is to forward it all to the Dept. of Justice.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I mean sure, DeSantis wins ... but what happens to Trump supporters when he starts complaining that Desantis and the GOP rigged the primary against him?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is Johnny all of a sudden better or is this from before the stroke?

Draft saved Draft deleted