1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If it’s one company, maybe they’re an asshole.
    If it’s a ton of companies, you’re probably the asshole.

There is always criticism of activists urging boycotts, etc., as if activists woke up one morning and decided to hate on Twitter or Trump or whomever for no reason. People are lazy, they aren’t going to protest something unless you do something pretty egregious.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

There was a rather interesting story about ten years ago or so of some room being opened up at the bridge and finding a fallout shelter, survival food and gear, etc.

What was missing from that story that further intrigued me: who was that shelter prepped for and who had access back in the day?

Cold War times really had some dark, scary and screwy elements to them.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Every time Musk or the GOP start screeching about free speech, Dem should respond by bringing up the Fairness Doctrine, equal time laws and make noise about applying the same standards that the GOP seeks to cable networks and talk radio shows.

The details of enforcing it doesn’t matter. Just play the GOP’s game and keep repeating it as the response. That’ll slow down the GOP’s screeching, at least.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"You see, Mr. Bond, I thrive on chaos. I am a troll. Donald Trump is a troll. And soon we'll be together."

[​IMG]

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

good thread

maumann likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was JUST going to post that PIC! Such a great evil genius photo. I want to get it on a t-shirt.

garrow likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Super genius move to combat trolls and bots!

garrow likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

When it was announced the Rocky Mountain News was closing, the Scripps suits said the next day's paper would be the last. To comply with the WARN Act, payroll was continued for the next 60 days, but we obviously did not work and we were free to take other jobs and not lose that WARN pay.

PaperDoll, FileNotFound and maumann like this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I believe this is called an own goal.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When did "free speech" entitle you to make money off of it? Weird. Seems Rs and Cons get more hacked off by having their bottom line impacted, than anything - because they can say whatever they want, wherever they want for the most part. Getting paid for that speech is up to somebody else. Who also has the right to pay or not pay.

garrow likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The new edition of Aesop's Fables includes "The Boy Who Cried Wolf (For $44 Billion And A Blue Checkmark)"

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Yeah — it can be tricky because many employers don’t want disgruntled workers around for 60 days so it’s easier to pay out. Also, in the case of an entire publication closing, it may be cheaper to pay than to keep the costs of production going.

I know we did one for a major retail chain about 10 years ago and about 50% of the workers quit within a month.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted