1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ah, the par-3s

maumann likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Elon isn't shedding any tears about Twitter going up in flames a week before the midterms.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I quite seriously don’t personally know somebody who is not a journalist who uses Twitter. I mean, obviously people do, but who other than @Neutral Corner? I truly wouldn’t know about most Twitter kerfuffles if not for this site, and I wouldn’t know about the rest of them without some news site reposting them as if they were news.

Disclosure: I do have a Twitter account, which I used to use as a news feed before things got stupid about seven years ago.

Gutter likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He just paid $44 billion for it. So, no.

He’s certainly happy with it being a shitty free-for-all just before the election, but in the big picture he has serious problems.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Thanks. He very clearly overpaid for it, and I was envisioning a scenario akin to insurance fraud or something, where if the business collapses he simply writes it off and walks away. Or declares bankruptcy, which didn’t seem to slow Trump’s rise.

6. Neutral Corner

He paid maybe three times what it's worth. Twitter is going to have a billion dollar a year debt to service. We're not talking about a company that always makes a profit, either. Elon is trying to cut his way to profitability but he's cut loose a lot of knowhow, especially in moderation. If he can't come up with a way to prove that the Twitter space is brand safe he's going to keep losing advertisers.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And he just fired the executive who worked directly with advertisers and had their trust.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. Either that or he bought it with the intent of burning it into the ground, solely out of spite or some sense of ridding the world of its evil.

maumann likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We've all seen this scenario in sports countless times. Super successful guy in some other business buys a franchise and stumbles into a series of disasters because he doesn't realize sports is not like his previous business and that there's a cosmically large difference between being a fan and being the owner. Musk was a Twitter fan who bought the franchise. He doesn't want to fail, he just doesn't have any idea how to succeed.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Never trust a man whose name sounds like a cologne.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There's a huge supply and demand difference. There are a limited number of sports franchises, but there is huge demand from rich people to own one whenever one becomes available, so the franchise values keep increasing. You can buy a sports franchise, most of which don't earn a ton of money, and you are almost guaranteed to be able to sell it later for more money than you paid for it.

The demand for Twitter wasn't the same. He was bidding against himself at that valuation. Unless he finds a way to magically transform it into some other business, he's not going to be able to sell it for anywhere near what he paid for it.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted