1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they were such powerhouses from 1976-83 and 2007-11. Just couldn't break thru more than once per run...no shame in that, as we've learned by watching the Dodgers for the last decade.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Happy for Dusty. He makes the Astros root-able. Also Gary Pettis, coaching with multiple Myeloma. Let's Go Oak-land!

ChrisLong and qtlaw like this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good for Dusty.

[​IMG]

4. DanOregon

So given all the attention Mattress Mack gets for his big bets to hedge against promotions, does Galaxy Furniture have a good rep? Do they sell quality stuff?

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's been thirty years since I was in one of his stores, but they were discount stores with some good stuff. Mac did his own annoying but sometimes funny commercials. He's always been a big self promoter. He's been in that market forever.

The other side of it is that when Hurricane Harvey hit, he let people crash in his stores, sleep on the display beds in the AC at the same time that Joel Osteen was locking people out of his megachurch.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. DanOregon

Good to know. I know he hired John McLain for his sports site, so he at least hires quality people. I know some furniture stores have a rep of being more about being credit predators than the quality of their goods or deals.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's very "rah rah Texas"-y, but it's quality stuff. Meaning, if you want a giant bed made in America of real solid wood, he'll sell it to you, for like $5,000. Or, a ton of stuff with American flag designs. My wife and I have been a couple of times, liked stuff, but never enough to pull the trigger.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is what happens, Phillies Brass, for putting baseball cards of Astros in the urinals.

Seems like a piss too far.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Was he the inspiration for Nathan Arizona?

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I might be mistaken, but I think they're all offshoots of the used car guys. Planet Money did an episode on the first one of them a couple years ago.

Hermes likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted