1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yellow line. We don't need no stinking yellow line.

2. Driftwood

I'd like to see Jones just drive his car into the wall, tear up some JGR equipment, and bring out a caution.

3. Driftwood

The fact that Gibbs isn't being pelted with cans and bones is direct proof that racing shouldn't be taken out of the Southeast.

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

It's really hard to throw a cactus over a fence.

Michael_ Gee, Driftwood and murphyc like this.
  5. maumann

Ty Gibbs isn't racing today, according to a couple of Twitter feeds. Not sure what's happening right now in Phoenix.

EDIT: Family emergency.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Coy Gibbs died.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Like his brother J.D., died at 49. Hard to imagine.

8. maumann

Damn. Just woke up from a nap to hear this. I had totally forgotten Kevin Harvick got tossed in the NASCAR penalty box for stuffing Coy in a truck race at Martinsville because Harvick felt Gibbs wrecked him on purpose. Yeah, Kevin was/is a hothead who found himself with more car than brains at the beginning, sort of like Ty, to be honest.

At 20, Ty's going to have to find maturity that he doesn't currently have. I hope there's a father figure -- Dave Alpern? -- who can give him the "come to Jesus" talk that I assumed would be coming from Coy this off-season. The folks in the garage area will feel for what he's going through but once the flag drops, he's Douchebag No. 1 until he changes peoples' minds by driving with talent instead of his bumper.

murphyc, 2muchcoffeeman and wicked like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Joe Gibbs has outlived two sons and he ain’t getting any younger. When I first heard “family emergency,” that’s what I thought of. I was much older than Ty when my dad died and wasn’t mature enough to handle it. The kid needs a healthy dose of perspective. It’s a shame that it might take this for it to happen.

As to Harvick, at least be worked his way up the ladder. He was not handed fast cars early on unlike Ty Gibbs or the Dillons.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  10. Driftwood

Take racing out of it.
    None of us know how many tomorrows we have.
    Dude was 49. Forty. Freakin. Nine.
    Laugh every day. Love your family and friends. Enjoy your life.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Been there. Do not wish it on anyone. It's as bad as you think it is.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Enjoy every sandwich." ~ Warren Zevon

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted