1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I agree it’s incumbent on all of the left to reach out with an olive branch and beg the GOP to please stop hitting us.

tapintoamerica and dixiehack like this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Please, GOP voter, how can I convince you I’m not part of a Satan-worshipping cabal that drinks the blood of Gentile babies before trafficking them in underground pizza sex basements?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dropped off my ballot on Saturday. Woke up this morning to an email that it has already been counted. Let's be done with this.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

I’m voting first thing in the morning. I prefer the in-person experience.

matt_garth likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I went to early voting last week. I was going to wait until Tuesday, but my wife has something after work, so we went ahead.
    (Not that any of the votes I cast matter)

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In person is the best. I'm usually first in line. Something about watching the final moments of set-up before the starting bell.

Liut likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Most of our poll workers are about 80, so I figure it would be about like watching sausage getting made.

Liut likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In the same article in which Frum expressed fear that Tea Party radicalization would marginalize the Republican party, more than a decade ago, he also argued that “a party must champion the values of the voters it already has”. He didn’t see what has by now become crystal clear: Trump and his radical outsiders do represent the values of Republican voters. In the end, the Tea Party has won after all.

That's accurate.

The quandary is how to address the issue.

On the one hand, the Democratic Party could change - not a ton, just some - to accommodate a few - not a ton - of these voters' worldviews. That'd be like the Democratic Party of, say, 1992.

On the other, progressives push for the kind of systemic change - in voting rules, in disbanding the electoral college, in getting rid of the 2 Senators per state structure - that guarantees certain - not all - GOP values get starved out from lack of victory.

I guess we'll see where it goes.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

GOP values.

snerk

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Eagerly awaiting Nimrata Randhawa's answer. Perhaps she should be deported.

(Do I really need the /s?)

12. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Genuinely curious, Alma, how many votes do you think Democrats pick up from adopting your proposed strategy? Do you think there's a block of Republican voters that would switch due to concessions made by Democrats (or to use the Clinton-era term, triangulation) in 2022?

My own assumption is that the 1992-era GOP policies-based voter has either already switched to the Dems post-Trump, or is voting third-party, and that there aren't that many left to be swayed by such an approach.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted