1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or to pump the brakes on climate change. One of the two.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

goin' great!

Switzerland Is Paying Poorer Nations to Cut Emissions on Its Behalf

Switzerland, one of the world’s richest nations, has an ambitious climate goal: It promises to cut its greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030.

But the Swiss don’t intend to reduce emissions by that much within their own borders. Instead, the European country is dipping into its sizable coffers to pay poorer nations, like Ghana or Dominica, to reduce emissions there — and give Switzerland credit for it.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Overthrowing capitalist governments may or may not do that - I'm not sure why she'd have confidence such a thing would work - but there would be more immediate, notable consequences to doing that may cost nations more lives than climate change would.

Azrael likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to see any example in which she says that exact thing.

I'd further be interested to see any specific evidence of this being the case.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What do you think "system-wide transformation" of a capitalist government is?

Azrael likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Although some countries make it look easy, wholesale changes of governmental systems in most places typically come with a body count in the thousands in rather short order. And there aren't very many countries who make it look easy.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well, first thing, capitalism isn't a form of government.

Secondly, a system-wide transformation in our form of government here in the United States is called an 'election.'

A system-wide transformation in the public/private national energy strategy of any given country might include massive new investment in nuclear research; a moratorium on certain kinds of fossil fuel production and use; a global investment fund for exactly the kind of community support you're describing.

Still waiting for evidence that the cost of adapting to climate change - in lives or dollars - will be worse than climate change itself.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It reminds me of when the car industry did not want to install seat belts because the cost of the cars would go up by fifty bucks a unit. Or whatever the actual figure was.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you think she’s talking about an election and new public/private strategy on the first thing, not sure what I can tell you on the second thing.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

We know it’s hard. It’s why we needed to start 40 years ago, when Exxon’s and Shell’s own scientists told the companies that this was real and before the Kochs had sowed the seeds of doubt.

Inky_Wretch and Neutral Corner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted