1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly. America sucks right now.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

When is the last time the Republicans had a stance, a bill, a platform on immigration, other than trying to keep all the brown people out?

Like most other issues, their program is "The Democrats are doing it wrong". Offering a better reasoned alternative is not on the menu.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The new Vermont Democrat in a nutshell.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"progressive" is doing a lot of work in that sentence.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Democratic stance on immigration is, as usual there, a welter of different voices. But what're they gonna do when "treating migrants with at least some standard of decency" is considered "soft" on the issue? When "upholding international treaties on asylum our country signed" is seen as "dangerously soft"?

Neutral Corner, garrow and TowelWaver like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seriously.

I honestly don't know why there is a "hard" or "soft" when it comes to immigration. How many of the people who want to be "hard" on immgration had grandparents who left a bad situation at the time somewhere else in the world a few generations ago and came here looking for opportunity? We should be embracing the fact that we're the country that people can come to to find opportunity, and I'd personally open our borders (and not consider myself hard or soft) to anyone who wants to be here. Especially people who take dangerous trips on foot to get here, because they must want to be here really badly and will be motivated to make the most of the opportunity. What I wouldn't do is make any promises about what happens for you once you get here, other than, "Come on in, make whatever you can of it."

Regardless, I'll accept that there are people who disagree with me, what I can't accept is the cruelty that comes along with the moronic scapegoating and xenophobia from the people who have made this an issue.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This is the GOP platform in its entirety from their website:

Republicans believe in liberty, economic prosperity, preserving American values and traditions, and restoring the American dream for every citizen of this great nation. As a party, we support policies that seek to achieve those goals.
    Our platform is centered on stimulating economic growth for all Americans, protecting constitutionally-guaranteed freedoms, ensuring the integrity of our elections, and maintaining our national security. We are working to preserve America's greatness for our children and grandchildren.
    The Republican Party's legacy -- we were originally founded in 1854 for the purpose of ending slavery -- compels us to patriotically defend America's values. As the left attempts to destroy what makes America great, the Republican Party is standing in the breach to defend our nation and way of life.

If you search GOP Platform, the link you get is from the 2016 convention, and it's a 66-page PDF.

Patchen likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't think this poll tells the story, but this is too good to pass up. The lede in Politico's article on its last pre-election poll was "Voters are ready to punish Biden, Democrats on economy." Fair enough. The Politico poll results? Democrats 48-Republicans 43. Article calls poll "an outlier." That may be so, but then why the hell put it in the article if you don't believe it?

TowelWaver likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Immigration is the perfect right wing/FNC issue. There is no easy answer unless you want to take drastic actions like closing the border. It’s also the perfect bogeyman, because you can point to crimes committed by people in the country improperly as proof that the Dems are allowing criminals to enter. Any because there is very little reliable data, you can just blame every ill on illegal immigrants.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If the border were truly open, nobody would be apprehended at the border. No drugs would be prevented from coming into the country. Saying the border is open is obviously not true. Do some immigrants and drugs get through? Yes, but police don’t stop everyone they see speeding.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

A friend this weekend said this great retort about "illegals" and "crime",

How many white men have raped/murdered/assaulted US citizens?
    Yep the non-voting illegals are the perfect scapegoat.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So the economy was lousy from 1968 to, say, 1991/1992?

Draft saved Draft deleted